Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 AM
dt4ts3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end clunk

We've got an 02 Caravan se that has a klunking noise in the front end. It is there only when it's cold outside. It is there when you hit bumps. However when I check the front tnd for play, none is readily evident. Then once it gets above 50 degrees outside, no clunk. Anyone know whats; going on here? It is a four banger if that makes any difference.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
racin90
Rookie
Default RE: front end clunk

Sway bar bushings are bad. Even if they look ok..trust me they are bad. I have replaced mine 3 times in 40,000 miles.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
alienspet

if thay are not the sway bar sbushings alot of time the strut can make a clunking noise! to know have some one bounce the front of the van or truck anf listen for the noise

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
dt4ts3

Struts seem ok, I will try the sway bar bushings. Do you know if anyone makes urethane bushings for these vans? I may just so the struts too,

Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
LN323

I'm dying to get polyurethane bushings. I've scanned Energy Suspensions' website and they don't make any kits. I'll probably do some measuring and try to find "universal" bushings. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Won't be for a while. Got too many things on my plate right now, but I'll get to it.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 AM
ramtrk2000

I got mine at the locaal auto parts store for ten bucks, and they were urethane, made by moog. That cured the problem, also replaced stablizer links, but they werent the cause of the big clunking noises.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Mullins

I second here, those rubber bushings can make some really bad sounding noises when they are bad even if they appear to be ok...replace them before you do anything else I'm positive it will fix your problem.the bushings are about $7 apeice from mopar.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 PM
TJeepman
Professional

My experience with my 2002 GC is that the right side (passenger's) bushings and sway bar links wear out more readily than the left side.
If I heard the famous clunking noise (which sounds much worse than the problem is) I would check the right sway bar link for wear / looseness. Two tie rod end type connections are used here. If defective I would replace with a sway bar link that has grease fittings instead of being sealed, keeping in mind that those that grease the vehicle will need to be asked to grease the fittings as they aren't the norm.
I would check the left sway bar link as well to ensure it was okay. If not, I would replace it as for the right side.
If still "clunking" Iwould then move to the right side sway bar bushing and replace it. Polycarbonate seems to be readily available. Go with it for the replacement.
The only thing left is the left sway bar bushing which, if you have ABS brakes, is much more difficult to work on (interferences) than the right sway bar bushing.
The sway bar bushings can be replaced with the vehicle on a ramp, no need for jack stands. Sway bar links, on the other hand, will require jacking up the vehicle for better access.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Mullins

the reason the right side tends to wear out sooner especially in the snow belt is all the slush and road debri on the side of the road constantly splashing onto the vehicle. i've seen enough of these fans that I would honestly start with the bushings at $7 and some odd change apeice its not bad. look for shiny metal on the sway bar next to the bushing indicating it is moving.

Quick Reply: front end clunk