Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Caravan radio help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
slowdanceb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Caravan radio help.

The cassette player in my factory radio stopped working. I purchased a used unit on Ebay from a 95 caravan. Mount and harnesses both matched and both radio and cassette player work fine. Problem is not all the speakers work. There was a single ground wire that connected to a spade connector on the chassis of the original radio. I connected this wire to the ground strap on the back of the replacement radio. The dash speakers and two tweeters in back work. The door speakers and two in back do not work. Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Whacked
Default RE: 1997 Caravan radio help.

Was the radio in your van a Infinity Stereo? And is the replacement radio an Infinity? If not the radio will not power the amp to supply power to all speakers. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

post revival here...

I'm usually on the Neon board, but, I also have a 96 Caravan Sport (the wifee's)

Wondering about the radio... have been trying to get a replacemnet stock radio CD player (to replace the cassette) for a while now... I know it's the "square-face" model and for some reason, they don't come cheap...have watched e-bay for a long time now, watching auctions come and go...watching the price go anywhere from 60 to 100 bucks... you would think by now, everyone that neede one of these would have one, sheesh...it's like people are just buying them to re-sell!

but I have noticed some of these square face models are the Infinity ones...usually have the 'joystick' to control the speakers... just wondering if those models would also work in my 96..I don't have the Infinity option...

Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 PM
tazman444
Rookie

Any square-faced radio will work in your van. I have the 'joystick' infinity system in our 99 and it replaced a standard radio. My Father-In-Law took it out of his 94 before he sold it and I put it in this van. Same wire harness and bolts.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

Thanx!

...now if I can just find either model at a reasonable price...

Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
tazman444
Rookie

Let me know the next time you pop over to Windsor. I'm sure I could dig up one for you at a decent price. Trythe website kijiji.ca.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

well.. I just finally found a reasonably priced one... has both the CD and the Cassette...gt it for $45 plus shipping... but, of course, just got it today, slapped it in and it doesn't work...

power switch no work... seems to play a CD ok, but I cant turn it off once it's playing, cant skip tracks.... cant switch to radio... speakers and the joystick seem to work fine...
before I send it back, anyone know what the extra little white plug with 2 terminals in it...next to one of the power plugs on the back, is for?
I thought one time someone said that is for some external controls, my old cassette only player didn't have it...but i cant see that plug causing all the weird, non-working switches and problems, could it?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

Wiki questions web site; someone asked a similar question and the answer was a simple.. "it's a computer connection"... will the radio work without this connection?

anyone?

Quick Reply: 1997 Caravan radio help.