Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:23 AM
jcs3079
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.

I owned and 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, I have not had many problems with it but ever since I got it my mileage am about 17.5 miles per gallon; I wanted to know if this is something that is usual on this type of vans. Before this van I had a Chevy Venture and the gas mileage was really good.

If the mileage I’m getting is not normal is there any suggestion that anyone can give me to better it.

I have change the spark plug and cables, Air filter, Gas filter and was wondering if there is something I missed.

A little more information on this van is that I’m the second owner and I got this van when it had 25K miles, it currently has 78K. All maintenance has been done on time.
Thank you for the help.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
srs_49
Default RE: Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.

We've been averaging 20.8 mpg with our 2007 DGC, in a mix of suburban and highway driving. We bought it used a around 6 weeks ago, and this gas mileage is for 2,222 miles.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
sudwel
Default RE: Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.

We just bought an '06 Grand Caravan in January - an our mileage also sucks! We too had a Venture before purchasing the Grand Caravan, and I can't believe the difference! We're getting between 11 to 14 mpg in the city, and the BEST I've gotten on the highway so far is 20.5 mpg - a far cry from the approx. 18 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway that we used to get with the Venture!

My mechanic has checked a bunch of things out, but can't find a mechanical reason for the low mileage - all I can say is, that with gas here at $1.20 per litre ($4.50 per USG) and anticipated to go up to $1.50 (or $5.67!) this summer, I feel your pain!!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
eltonb
Default '06 Caravan Extremely Poor MPG

Originally Posted by sudwel
We just bought an '06 Grand Caravan in January - an our mileage also sucks! We too had a Venture before purchasing the Grand Caravan, and I can't believe the difference! We're getting between 11 to 14 mpg in the city, and the BEST I've gotten on the highway so far is 20.5 mpg - a far cry from the approx. 18 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway that we used to get with the Venture!

My mechanic has checked a bunch of things out, but can't find a mechanical reason for the low mileage - all I can say is, that with gas here at $1.20 per litre ($4.50 per USG) and anticipated to go up to $1.50 (or $5.67!) this summer, I feel your pain!!

Did you ever determine why your MPG sucks so bad?

I just bought my wife a 2006 Grand Caravan with the V6 and it has consistenly gotten about 10-11 MPG in the city!!! The first time I drove it I filled it up from about slap empty and put 15 gallons in it and it got 192 miles on the tank, and the second time I put 17 gallons in it and got about 210 miles out of it.

It has:
brand new tires
the wheels turn freely (jacked it up and I can roll them easily and it coasts fine in neutral, so brakes aren't sticking)
doesnt smell like gas anyway, so it isnt leaking.
no check engine lights
idles/runs fine - no missing etc...

My fear is to take it somewhere and paying them to throw parts at it.

Sure, I could do a tune-up, but I dont expect a tune up to double or even triple the gas mileage. I mean, how the hell does a vehicle thats supposed to get double the mileage that its currently getting and not have a check engine light on?

Dying for suggestions. Trading it in on a jap car is already being considered

Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 AM
vangonebuy
Rookie

Style of driving is critical to better mileage.
Here's a link to a older post.
Good info.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...s-mileage.html

Good Luck,
Tom

Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Gas Mileage

Don't feel too bad, my '96 with 3.3 liter (158 HP) gets right at 18.0 MPG city and maybe 24 MPG at 70 MPH-75 MPH highway. I had a '92 Pontiac Transport with the 3.8 liter V6 and she did right at 20.0 City and 25 MPG highway. I would have bought another Transport but they dropped the 3.8 liter engine in favor of the 3.4 liter and then of course Dodge came out with the second side door. All in all I am happy and it does do better than my son-in-laws 2003 Durango (hauls more as well).

Old 07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
eltonb

I guess you guys dont get the point - it gets 10 MILES PER GALLON!
Not 12, not 15, not 20, and it sure as hell doesn't even get 25.

I don't care if you drive it in 1st gear all day, it should get better than 10 MPG.

I get 12 MPG when I pull the damn thing behind by Chevrolet Avalanche!

This piece of crap is going to the crusher as soon as I can find a Toyota Sienna.

I hope Chysler goes bankrupt, and at 1/3rd the price of a Toyota Sienna or any other Jap mini-van, the Grand Caravan is still overpriced!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
embalmerjeff

Does anyone have any thoughts about replacing the stock air filter with a K&N?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 AM
spetznazer

Can it be EGR? /If sensor triggers EGR it can start to work by safe table which leads to a higher fuel consumption. I think it is something with electronic fuel injection. What can trigger EGR? Missfire, uncontrolable air in air intake system (leads to missfire), knock sensor, O2 sensor. I think...

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM
eltonb
Default To the crusher!

The worst day of a man's life is the day he buys a Dodge, the best day is the last day he owns it.

The 2006 10 MPG Dodge Grand Caravan is gone!

I now own a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE that gets 19.9 MPG.

I suggest you guys follow suit and dump your Dodge's while you can.

After driving that piece of crap, and now driving a Toyota Sienna I realize that driving a minivan doesn't have to feel like riding a suspension-less gocart on seats that feel like your grandma's couch. I mean what the hell, do you have to go full retard to get a engineering job at Chrysler?

If you love your family don't make them ride in such a colossal failure. Put them in a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Mileage on a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan V6.