Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear wheel bearings shot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Highlyrated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearings shot?

There is a roaring noise coming from the rear of the van. It seems to get louder with speed. I recently replaced the drums/shoes/springs and the noise persists, so its leading me to believe that the wheel bearing are shot. Do They tend to wear faster than the front or something? I dont think it could possibly be anything else, and its definitely coming from the rear. Definitely not the exhaust. And what is the purpose of the rear axle? Thats has nothing to do with the movement of the wheel right? Havnt really looked back there.

Im almost positive it gets louder with speed, but Ill have to double check. Just dont want to spend 200 bucks on new hub units and that not be the case. Anyone experience this before?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Highlyrated
Default RE: Rear wheel bearings shot?

Oh its a 99 just to keep it clear.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM
HemiMan02
Professional
Default RE: Rear wheel bearings shot?

I have replaced a coupled of rear wheel bearings on these vans. Its pretty simple. You can jack up the rear of the car and shake the wheel side to side and top to bottom. if there is any wobble in it then it is a wheel bearing. However, you cant alway teel by doing that. You can also go down the road and swerve side to side (being careful of oncoming traffic) if you swerve to the right and the noise is louderits the left side. If you swerve to the left and its louder its on the right side. hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearings shot?