Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help reinstalling strut.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 PM
wilcom
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help reinstalling strut.

I'm just changing out the strut assymbly on my 95 caravan. I have the spring reinstalled on the new strut and have the strut mounted in the tower and the 3 top nuts secured.

Now my problem is that the strut bolt holes do not align with the bolt holes on the A frame assymbly....... the strut needs to be compressed up an inch or the A frame assymbly needs to go down an inch. I put a bar on the A-frame and it will move down a 1/2 inch but that 's it. I can see no way to get a jack in there and press up on the strut to get it to align.

I'm now in the dark with lights pondering. I tried to stick on my spring compressors again and get it to pull back but didn't gain much and it was way dangerous the way I had them hooked under the strut to pull up.

HELP..... probably sumpt'n easy like always, huh

Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
82prospector
Amateur

I seldom tighten any mounting bolts first, this allows for the parts to "float" into position...especially handy when you're trying to line up a bunch of bolts.

Several things spring to mind (spring, get it? I crack myself up):

Either you don't have the nut on the strut's shaft completely tight so the spring isn't compressed enough OR the spring isn't seated correctly OR the upper mount isn't "indexed" correctly (can't recall if that's possible on this model, but sometimes that will cause the strut to be out of line with the steering knuckle)

Do you still have the sway bar connected to the control arm? That would prevent you from moving the arm down.

Don't fight it! Bad things happen in frustrated moments and working in the dark ain't helping.

Last edited by 82prospector; 01-01-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM
wilcom
Amateur

Yes , bad things do happen while setting in a pool of parts and tools in the dark. I have a fresh cup of coffe and a full pack of smokes so I'm under control.

I did find a similar thread on another site that said I needed boting sides to be in the air. I just had one side up so I jacked up the other side and leveled it out. No change bolt centers still 3/4 inch apart and there isn't much give in anything.

I will go out and make sure my center top nut is fully tightened, when I put it together I wrenched it til it stopped , but I will go back and check.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 08:53 PM
wilcom
Amateur

yes the sway bar is still attached,

I just measured the camber on the rotor and pulled the camber bolts and undid the tower nuts and drug the puppy out of there. ( and undid the brake hose/anti lock clip and out it came)

Old 01-01-2010, 09:06 PM
82prospector
Amateur

Don't force it, use a hammer....and when in doubt, use force!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:08 PM
wilcom
Amateur

I just loosened my anti sway bar and that gave me a bunch more play. Looks like that might do it. I'll just have to wait till I get another pair of hands to put bolts in as I lean on the A-frame with my ample girth.

nothing gets easier when the sun goes down. LOL

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

It's really easy to do this job if you remove the sway bar to a-frame bolts (total of 4) do NOT remove the swaybar to k-frame bolts. when they snap off, you'll hate life.

Quick Reply: Help reinstalling strut.