Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

check engine light on a 2001

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 AM
angelina1982
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light on a 2001

i went to auto zone, and got a scanner code it came to p1491- which they said it a raditor fan relay circuit. but none know where it located. i call dodge and they said it was under neath the car filter and i had to take that all apart, well i did and i still cant find it. i even took the front of the plastic part off on the front from the grill and i still cant find it... plz help.

also if i run the car with this the problem is it true i could blow my engine if i dont replaced it?? i took off work since they told me this

i cant get any help from dodge i know they want me pay them to wok on it, but if i can do it my self this be better the part cost me 80 bucks. thanks ang

Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Houndog101

Your relays are in the same box as the car fuses (horn,lights etc.) under the hood, some may be under the dash in the fuse box.. The cover of the box will have the descripition of whats what ( what fuse or relay does what).

Old 02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
angelina1982
Exclamation hi

well i finlay found out this relay is not in the fuse box that the first place i look. it is in the front of the grill and front of the radiator on the lower part of the driver side next to the fender this is so differnt then what was told to me.. even a dodge perosn was shocked when i said it was in the place he told me.

well after all that friend of a friends came by and said have you ever clear the codes to see if it still showing engine check, well afer that the engine lights off and the fans are working. i really puzzle about this and the perpson said maybe it was a surge. so what do you all think of this?? ans should i still be concern since it off and the fans are working??? thanks ang

Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thats because the NS body 1996 thru 2000 is on the frame rail under the air filter housing. 2001 thru 2007 RS body on the under the bumper fascia, on the driver side.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
angelina1982
Default thanks

but can some one read plz my last part and tel me what your opinion is on that.. thanks ang

Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Houndog101

Originally Posted by angelina1982
but can some one read plz my last part and tel me what your opinion is on that.. thanks ang
I would not be concerned about it if all is working, The relay may be going bad, so you could replace it or wait till it fails again..As long as its not overheating, your OK, IMO.. Sorry about the wrong info on the relay location, I was going by my truck..

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
angelina1982

thank for your help, that ok, i didnt mean what you told me, i was talking about dodge they the ones that told me to take all that apart and they since they the dealer should of known. may i ask if was you would you just replace it? b/c im scared if it goes bad i might be in aplace at the wrong time and if it does fail i migt be in hot weather. i hate to push it out but if you think it might be going bad. it might be well worth then wait till i t happen then stuck somoene where and pay more for towing and where ever i get stuck at. i live in the country and im about 40 miles from a major city. well thanks.... coulds i ask one more question, what could make my oil like come on and off?

before this eng lit my oil lit came on and i had my oil change and it still does it, but it goes on and off it dont stay on, but just comes and go. i never dealt with these type of stuff.... thanks again.... ang

Quick Reply: check engine light on a 2001