Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

headlight switch backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:09 PM
ghlkal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question headlight switch backlighting

On my '06, there's no backlighting for the headlight switch, power mirror controls, power window & locks. I assume this is "correct" from the factory

This thread https://dodgeforum.com/m_158261/tm.htm mentions the same ...

Is it true there are sockets for bulbs behind the headlight switch? Has anybody added bulbs here?

Has anyone installed some "custom lighting" here? It looks like a good job for an LED or two ...

TIA,

GHL

Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 AM
ghlkal
Smile

Merry Christmas.

Anyone have any feedback?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:42 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped in a headlight switch from an 02 into my van. It has the bulbs in the switch but they don't light up. There doesn't appear to be a wire in the headlight switch connector for the lights.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
ghlkal

Originally Posted by rabbler
I swapped in a headlight switch from an 02 into my van. It has the bulbs in the switch but they don't light up. There doesn't appear to be a wire in the headlight switch connector for the lights.
Thanks. Is there a separate "power" line to the light (that a hot could be run to in order to make it light up), or is it just the main connector that plugs into the switch?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

It appears that the wire is missing from the connector.
Could you run a new wire? I don't see why not but I haven't investigated that far.

While we are on the subject of interior lighting does you van (or anybodies) rear wiper switch light up. On mine the washer button is lit up but not the rear wiper switch.
Everything works fine otherwise.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

thanx for the info, good to know...

I just upgraded from a 96 Sport caravan.. to a 06 Grand caravan SXT.. and was wondering why it's so dark in that drivers side corner at nite! (I think everything lit up in the 96)

Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 PM
ghlkal

Originally Posted by rabbler
While we are on the subject of interior lighting does you van (or anybodies) rear wiper switch light up. On mine the washer button is lit up but not the rear wiper switch.
Yes, on my 06 the rear wiper switch lights up.

Originally Posted by Pablodragon
I just upgraded from a 96 Sport caravan.. to a 06 Grand caravan SXT.. and was wondering why it's so dark in that drivers side corner at nite! (I think everything lit up in the 96)
IIRC, the change was between 2001 and 2002.

I'm wondering if there's a way to have an LED light up that whole side from somewhere ... any thoughts?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:14 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Yes, on my 06 the rear wiper switch lights up.
Thanks
Looks like I have some investigating to do...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Mykr
Default Dodge Garnd Caravan Headlamp Switch backlighting

I have done some investigating here.

My '04 Grand Caravan has never lit up. when I noticed it the local dealer told me I'd need a new body control module. Nice eh? I'm not sure they ever looked into the problem at all, if they did they outright lied to me.

So I did my own troubleshooting. This is what I have found:

1) The headlamp is missing the bulbs that it was designed to have installed.
2) The nessesary contact ( pin#8) has no contact soldered into the circuit board at all. This contact should be designated as the backlighting + voltage from the BCM.
3) The FACTORY wiring diagrams show NO wire to be in that connector in the pin 8 location.
4) However in my van there is a wire (orange w/ black stripe) in the connector in location 8. I have confirmed that this wire does go from 0-12 volts when adjusting the dimmer. So in my case the wire is there.

Following the traces on the circuit board from pin 8 this would feed the + side of the lamps. The ground is already existing.

In conclusion, for my van all that would have to be done is to solder a contact in pin location 8 on the circuit board of the headlamp switch and then install the lamps (i believe they are PC74 lamp as are most of the other instrument lamps), and it should then work fine.

I conclude that this must have saved Dodge about $.50 per vehicle not to do this. Ironic, the one control that you would need to brighten up the instrument panel at night is the only one without a lamp in it. I would imagine that the engineers at Dodge couldn't believe it when the bean counters came up with this "cost cutting measure".

If anyone would like pics and wiring diagrams relating to this case in my '04, email me.

BTW, I realize it's Grand Caravan not Garnd Caravan. Typing is not my specialty.

Mike

Last edited by Mykr; 03-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Mykr
Default Update

I soldered in a contact at pin 8. Tried to find the right bulb. The PC74 bulb that is utilized in the rest of the instrument cluster is too large. So I soldered the bulbs on the PC board for test. It works great and dims just fine. The downfall-The color is white instead of the green like the rest of the dash. I cannot find the correct bulbs yet. I am assuming that possibly a green LED in a bayonet mount base is utilized or an incandescent with a green filter over it. I just haven't found the right lamp yet. But the mod does work.

Mike

Quick Reply: headlight switch backlighting