Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1990 Dodge Caravan SE Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 PM
DodgeSpirit1992
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Dodge Caravan SE Problem

I need urgent help with my 90 Caravan... The other day when driving it. I came to a stop sign and it started all at once developed what seems to be a really bad miss. In idle at park it does run fairly decent, but once in gear such as drive or reverse it acts as if it has a really bad miss and it sounds as if something is knocking. I was thinking it could be a lifter (as one mechanic has said) cause it was clicking like a year before this problem started. I was also thinking it might be that it somehow jumped a tooth on the timing belt. Is it possible that its a fuel injector going bad or maybe the fuel pump to cause all of this agrivation... Thanks alot for any help yall can give me.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you have a 3.0L or 3.3L engine?? If you have a 3.3 engine you may have a broken rear rocker tower. That would be number one and three cylinders. 3.3 also don't have timing belts, just a timing chain. 2.5L and 3.0L do have timing belts.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:42 AM
DodgeSpirit1992

its a 2.5L with a timing belt... What the van is doing, idling in Park it runs just fine but putting it into reverse or drive it has a rough idle as if it has a bad miss in it. Then when driving it, upto when it hits around 20MPH it smooths out and runs fine, then when slowing down to a stop sign or light and it hits around 5MPH it starts with having a bad miss again. I really need to get it fixed ASAP as it is my only motive of transportation at the moment, I just recently put a transmission in my Spirit and it runs good now but its not street legal and I dont have the money to get it street legal so I really need to get the van running good again, thanks. I also disconnected the lock up torque converter clutch solenoid. So I know its not trying to lock up or anything. The Check Engine light isnt coming on either.

Last edited by DodgeSpirit1992; 04-11-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: needed to add more to it
Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
chopper
Veteran

Listen to each injector with a long screwdriver or wooden dowel to see if they are all working.Sometimes they get stuck or the connection comes loose.You should hear a clicking sound at each injector.

Jumping time is probably going to kill the engine completely instead of disabling one cylinder.The engine wouldn't idle and you'd have to keep the RPM's up just to keep it running.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You may need to do a tune up and replace the ignition pick up in the dist. The 2.5L did have a problem with pigtail ground on the dist body.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM
DodgeSpirit1992

Chopper: The van has a 2.5L and it has only one injector, but the van is clicking. I am not entirely sure if it is the injector or not. When going faster or lets say up a slight grade it will make a sound that sounds like an electric arc. But then when the RPM's are up it smooths out and runs fine, I have looked over the injector thinking it might be a problem but it looks like its got plenty of fuel going threw it, down into the throttle body.

Master Tech: I have replaced everything in the distributor. I have a 1992 Dodge Spirit that runs good, but is not street legal right now, so I took everything from its 2.5L distributor and put it into the van and it still acts and sounds the same.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM
jagass
Professional

Call your mechanic..That's the best thing to do, I think...lol

Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
DodgeSpirit1992

My Mechanic doesnt know what it is either... Do yall think that it might be a Fuel Injector clicking. It looks as if it is getting alot of fuel, but it has a bad miss and is clicking pretty loud till it hits around 20MPH and then everything smooths out and it runs fine. One day I just came to a stop sign and all of a suddent this missing and clicking problem happend with absolutely no warning. It was running perfectly, except it did had a rough start in the morning where I had to hold my foot on the gas then once it started and warmed up it ran and started fine after that. I put another Coil into it and it really didnt help any. So I am now starting to think what if it is the Fuel Injector. like I said, it looks as if its getting alot of fuel, but its missing and is clicking.

Last edited by DodgeSpirit1992; 04-11-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
DodgeSpirit1992

I did call my mechanic, he doesnt know what it is either... Do yall think it might be the injector clicking... It looks as if it is getting alot of fuel, maybe even getting to much fuel. But when it is running, lets say it hits 20+MPH it smooths out and runs fine, but from starting out till it hits that 20mph it clicks and acts as if it has a bad miss to it.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
DodgeSpirit1992

I checked out the Fuel Injector and it is indeed doing a LOUD clicking noise. I am going to take the fuel injector from my Spirit and put it in the Caravan until I am abled to get the Spirit legal again... I hope that helps solve the problem. I know its nothing internally with the engine clicking cause if it was something internally, why would it pick certian times to start the clicks, besides the clicking is coming directly from the injector... Yall keep writing back to guide me to know what else I could do to fix the van. Like I said, it is my only motive of transportation.

Quick Reply: 1990 Dodge Caravan SE Problem