Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Shifting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 AM
cvargo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Shifting Questions

So we bought a 2017 Dodge Caravan SE Plus end of July. We are very happy with our purchase thus far. It currently has 1300 miles on it. Beginning of August we took it on a camping trip where we had it fully loaded with kids and gear. It ran GREAT no complaints at all.

Yesterday we went up into the mountains again for the day, and on some inclines I noticed the vehicle having a VERY hard time shifting and the transmission was heating up well past what I would consider comfortable. It usually is right at the half way mark. Sometime will go a tiny bit over or a tiny bit under. But yesterday it was at the 3/4 mark and going above it. I had to to force it into gears. We haven't experienced this before.

We are wanting to add a hitch to the vehicle and tow a grand total of about 2500 pound tent trailer when fully loaded. But after what I experienced yesterday I am second guessing that decision.

Should I just consider this a one off? Not really sure how to duplicate this issue with a dealer or what to do at this point. We love our van but I am getting concerned now.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 PM
caravan3.6
Default Eco mode

Was there a chance the vehicle was in eco mode? My 2011 has it and I never use it because I've noticed it forces the tranny to work alot harder instead of downshifting and using more power like you'd expect.
Ps. I've overloaded my van interior with around 2000 lbs of cargo a couple times and it handled better then expected so a trailer should handle no problem.
Hope this helps!

Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same route and weather as the first trip? Did Chrysler wise up and put a transmission temp gauge on their wonder wagons? If not already equipped you may need an aux transmission cooler.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cvargo
Yesterday we went up into the mountains again for the day, and on some inclines I noticed the vehicle having a VERY hard time shifting and the transmission was heating up well past what I would consider comfortable. It usually is right at the half way mark. Sometime will go a tiny bit over or a tiny bit under. But yesterday it was at the 3/4 mark and going above it.
Fascinating! Especially considering that the latest and greatest Caravans require a scan tool to read transmission temperature. And that's mostly so that a service technician can accurately gauge transmission fluid level via the transmission dipstick tube that has not come equipped with a dipstick for some number of years. Perhaps the OP was confusing engine temp with transmission temp?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Caravan2017

Originally Posted by cvargo
So we bought a 2017 Dodge Caravan SE Plus end of July. We are very happy with our purchase thus far. It currently has 1300 miles on it. Beginning of August we took it on a camping trip where we had it fully loaded with kids and gear. It ran GREAT no complaints at all.

Yesterday we went up into the mountains again for the day, and on some inclines I noticed the vehicle having a VERY hard time shifting and the transmission was heating up well past what I would consider comfortable. It usually is right at the half way mark. Sometime will go a tiny bit over or a tiny bit under. But yesterday it was at the 3/4 mark and going above it. I had to to force it into gears. We haven't experienced this before.

We are wanting to add a hitch to the vehicle and tow a grand total of about 2500 pound tent trailer when fully loaded. But after what I experienced yesterday I am second guessing that decision.

Should I just consider this a one off? Not really sure how to duplicate this issue with a dealer or what to do at this point. We love our van but I am getting concerned now.
I have a 2017 Caravan. It doesn't have a transmission temperature on the dashboard. And, as far as I know, it shouldn't. It's not a truck; none of minivans have it.
The van has been known with this issue of bad transmission gear switching when driving on the hill (delays, high RPMs, etc) for few years. We rented it twice before buying it. When you approach a hill switch from the cruise-control to a regular driving using your foot on the pedal. There wouldn't be such jumps in the RPM as during the auto-model. Chrysler techs don't give a flying... to this issue that has been reported several years ago by thousands of customers

Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Caravan2017

Originally Posted by caravan3.6
Was there a chance the vehicle was in eco mode? My 2011 has it and I never use it because I've noticed it forces the tranny to work alot harder instead of downshifting and using more power like you'd expect.
Ps. I've overloaded my van interior with around 2000 lbs of cargo a couple times and it handled better then expected so a trailer should handle no problem.
Hope this helps!
The sales guy who sold me the vehicle also drives Caravan. He said "use the Eco mode only when you drive long hours on the highway. It would save you a little gas". I've tried and can confirm: the mileage with the Eco mode when driving steady 115-120 km/hr stays between 7.5 - 8.0 l/100 km (empty van, just a driver, no cargo or passengers). The acceleration becomes very weak and slow. When I drive in the city I always keep the Eco mode off. The van becomes much faster when starting from the full stop. Switching mode of the gears definitely changes.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

when did mini vans become diesels?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Caravan2017

Originally Posted by nibroc
when did mini vans become diesels?
Well, it really depends on the market.
Every car/van manufacturer in the world has a line of diesel motors to chose from. Toyota, Ford, VW (those are well known for their CO test results ). You name it.... Even a basic Ford Focus offers 4 gas engines and 2 diesel engines to choose from if you buy it in Europe. You can custom-made there any car. Your choice of engine, tranny, interior and exterior color, type of the radio, etc.

Going back to your original question. My Caravan has 3.6L gas engine. If you'll look at the config for the European market, where this van comes under the brand "Lancia" (as no one knows Dodge in Europe) - you'll find that a standard engine for it is 2.8L diesel

BTW
Did you know that more than 50% of all new cars sold in Germany in 2005 were diesels and this number is going up since then?

Last edited by Caravan2017; 10-10-2017 at 10:00 PM.