Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Intermittent wipers only work intermittently

Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 PM
hobkirk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent wipers only work intermittently

Is the title too "cutesy"? About 50% of the time the wiper delay doesn't work - the wipers twitch and then don't move again until I turn it to "no delay" (fast or slow) or "off" (the wipers will then make one sweep). Often the intermittent feature doesn't work at all (i.e., I don't get a single sweep) or it will fail after a few minutes.

I replaced the multi-function switch with one from a junk yard - it seemed to work initially but then it seems to just as bad as it was before.

Any suggestions?
  1. Wiper motor ground?
  2. Body Control Module?
  3. Try another multi-function switch?
Thanks!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
hobkirk

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Doh! 1998

Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it only moves a few inches everytime the relay clicks, the wiper motor park switch is going bad. The relay just gets the wipers going, then it uses the park switch to complete the cycle.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
hobkirk

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
If it only moves a few inches everytime the relay clicks, the wiper motor park switch is going bad. The relay just gets the wipers going, then it uses the park switch to complete the cycle.
I haven't said it right - the wipers work fine on whatever delay I set it to for some number of sweeps - it might be zero, it might be as high as 15 - and then the arm "lurches" up 1/4 to 1/2" and doesn't move again, until I turn it to "constant low (or high) speed" or turn it off, in which case it does a final sweep. I don't hear any relay at any time, but my hearing is not great.

When I asked the question, I thought this was probably a problem that had a neat and tidy solution. I am learning (as I read various posts) that this could be:
  1. a defective MF switch (already replaced with a junk yard unit once),
  2. a bad ground at the wiper motor, the "park switch" part of the motor (meaning replace the motor assembly?),
  3. a bad Body Control Module (maybe that's only if it's prior to 1996 model), or
  4. a bad some other type of computer or control module since my car is a '96 Grand Caravan
So much for neat and tidy!

I will probably
  • make sure the ground at the wiper motor is good
  • try another MF switch since there's a guarantee on that,
  • and then try swapping out the wiper motor with a used motor
  • The BCM or other modules might be a little too complicated to figure out which one I need and then finding a donor car that has an acceptable configuration - I assume I need to find a donor in a particular year range (98-2000?) with the same motor and a non "Star Wars" type dash.
As always, I am amazed at the quality of information offered and the generosity of you guys who respond. Thank you!

If I do solve the problem, I will post it.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

From 1996 TSB. This one was VERY famous in it's time...lol. I would advise you not to test with any salvage yard wiper switches or wiper motors. You never know which one had an issue when it hit the yard. In my personal experiences I found many ground problems many, many, many wiper switches and a few motors. Others may differ..... Happy reading>>>

NO: 08-31-98 Rev. A

SUBJECT: Front Windshield Wipers Self-Activate While Driving Or Will Not Turn Off

DATE: Jul. 24, 1998

NOTE:THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-31-98, DATED JUNE 26, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THE REVISIONS INCLUDE, REVISED SYMPTOM/CONDITION ONE, DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR PROCEDURES FOR SYMPTOM TWO AND THREE, AND PARTS REQUIRED. REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
  1. Windshield wipers will turn on while the windshield wiper switch is in the "OFF" position for one or more wipes **with the ignition "ON",** or when the turn signal and/or headlamp beam select is actuated.
  2. Windshield wipers will not turn off with the ignition switch "ON" or "OFF" and the 41TE transaxle may go into limp-in mode when the windshield wipers are turned "ON".
  3. Windshield wipers stop immediately (instead of parking fully down) when the switch is turned "OFF" or continue to wipe for approximately 10 seconds after being turned "OFF" and then stop wherever they are (instead of parking fully down) either by using the windshield wiper switch or the ignition switch.
NOTE: IF THE WIPE OCCURS AT VEHICLE START UP ONLY, MAKE SURE THE IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD) FUSE IS FULLY SEATED.
DIAGNOSIS:

SYMPTOM ONE
  1. If the vehicle operator describes Symptom/Condition One, perform the Repair Procedure for Symptom One.
SYMPTOM TWO
  1. Inspect the ground eyelets on the engine block near the transmission dipstick tube. There should be no looseness.
  2. **1996 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check the ground wire from the eyelet to CAV #5 of the gray E48 connector on the bottom of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) for continuity. (See Figure 1)
    1997 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check the ground wire from the eyelet to CAV #4 of the aqua C8 connector on the bottom of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) for continuity. (See Figure 2)
  3. 1996 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check for continuity from CAV #5 of the gray E48 connector on the bottom of the PDC to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay (THIS IS AN EXTREMELY LOW PROBABILITY FAILURE MODE, be sure to reinstall the PDC cover properly).
    1997 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check for continuity from CAV #4 of the aqua C8 connector on the bottom of the PDC to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay (THIS IS AN EXTREMELY LOW PROBABILITY FAILURE MODE, be sure to reinstall the PDC cover properly).**
  4. If a problem is found in steps 1 thru 3, perform the Repair Procedure for Symptom Two.
SYMPTOM THREE
  1. With a DRB III® (Scan Tool), monitor the wiper park switch input to the Body Control Module (BCM) when the windshield wipers are on. If the wiper park switch input status does not change as the wipers are moving, the park switch circuit is faulty.
  2. **1996 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check for continuity between cavity #41 of the B58 BCM connector and cavity #4 of the wiper module B31 connector, refer to the 1996 illustration. (See Figure 3)
    1997 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check for continuity between cavity #41 of the C1 BCM connector and cavity #2 of the wiper module connector, refer to the 1997 illustration. (See Figure 4)
  3. 1996 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check for continuity between cavity #7 of the B31 wiper module connector and ground.
    1997 MODEL VEHICLES:
    Check for continuity between cavity #4 of the wiper module connector and ground.**
  4. If a problem is found in steps 1 thru 3, perform the Repair Procedure for Symptom Three.
PARTS REQUIRED:

QtyPart No.DescriptionAR (1)05012382AASwitch, Multi-functionAR (1)**04707730PDC, 1996 With 41TE TransaxleAR (1)04868131PDC, 1996 With 31TH Transaxle and Antilock Brake System (ABS)AR (1)04868132PDC, 1996 With 31TH Transaxle and Without ABSAR (1)04707892ABPDC, 1997 With 41TE TransaxleAR (1)04707893ABPDC, 1997 With 31TH Transaxle and ABSAR (1)04707891ABPDC, 1996 With 31TH Transaxle and Without ABS**AR (1)04673013AAMotor, Wiper

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves installing a revised multi-function switch and/or ground wire correction and/or a PDC and/or a wiper motor replacement.
SYMPTOM ONE
  1. Remove the top and bottom steering column covers.
  2. Remove the two multi-function switch attaching screws and save.
  3. Pull/slide the multi-function switch out from the mounting housing and disconnect the wiring harness.
  4. Connect the wiring harness to a new multi-function switch, p/n 05012382AA.
  5. Position the new multi-function switch into the mounting housing and secure with the two screws previously removed in step 2.
  6. Verify the multi-function switch has been installed properly by putting the switch lever into the left or right turn signal position and turning the steering wheel to ensure cancellation occurs.
  7. Install the top and bottom steering column shrouds.
SYMPTOM TWO
  1. Make sure the ground eyelets are placed properly on the stud and the nut holding the eyelets and the dipstick tube is tightened securely.
  2. If there was no continuity between the ground wire eyelet wiring connector on the bottom of the PDC,locate the open in the circuit and repair it.
  3. If there was no continuity between the PDC connector to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay, replace the PDC. Be sure to install the PDC cover properly.
SYMPTOM THREE
  1. If there is no continuity between the BCM connector and cavity the wiper module wiring connector as described in the Diagnosis, locate the open in the circuit and repair it.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-23-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM
WeAreNotAlone
Default So- what was the FIX?

Originally Posted by hobkirk
I haven't said it right - the wipers work fine on whatever delay I set it to for some number of sweeps - it might be zero, it might be as high as 15 - and then the arm "lurches" up 1/4 to 1/2" and doesn't move again, until I turn it to "constant low (or high) speed" or turn it off, in which case it does a final sweep. I don't hear any relay at any time, but my hearing is not great.

When I asked the question, I thought this was probably a problem that had a neat and tidy solution. I am learning (as I read various posts) that this could be:
  1. a defective MF switch (already replaced with a junk yard unit once),
  2. a bad ground at the wiper motor, the "park switch" part of the motor (meaning replace the motor assembly?),
  3. a bad Body Control Module (maybe that's only if it's prior to 1996 model), or
  4. a bad some other type of computer or control module since my car is a '96 Grand Caravan
So much for neat and tidy!

I will probably
  • make sure the ground at the wiper motor is good
  • try another MF switch since there's a guarantee on that,
  • and then try swapping out the wiper motor with a used motor
  • The BCM or other modules might be a little too complicated to figure out which one I need and then finding a donor car that has an acceptable configuration - I assume I need to find a donor in a particular year range (98-2000?) with the same motor and a non "Star Wars" type dash.
As always, I am amazed at the quality of information offered and the generosity of you guys who respond. Thank you!

If I do solve the problem, I will post it.

RE: If I do solve the problem, I will post it

Have a 98 Caravan with the exact same problem,

EG: The wipers work fine on whatever delay I set it to for some number of sweeps - it might be zero, it might be as high as 15 - and then the arm "lurches" up 1/4 to 1/2" and doesn't move again, until I turn it to "constant low (or high) speed" or turn it off, in which case it does a final sweep.

What was the SOLUTION?

What was the SOLUTION?
What was the SOLUTION?

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-28-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone
What was the SOLUTION?
What was the SOLUTION?
What was the SOLUTION?
Chances are he's gone after 15 months but try sending hobkirk a private message and ask.

BTW - Welcome to the forum world. We are lucky to get solutions posted 30% of the time if that.

Last edited by Cougar41; 12-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 PM
wetwilley99
Default Something similiar

Mine is the driver side works fine in intermittent, low and high. The passenger works only in intermittent whether it is in intermittent, low or high. I have a dodge viper and it has two motors. I think it is the control module.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent wipers only work intermittently