Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

done showing on odometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
ENCSDEI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default done showing on odometer

been working cars a while and never saw "done" displayed. Symptoms Battery dead clicking while jumper cables connected. Good voltage all the way to the starter 13-14 VDC. Voltage drops when trying to start clicking noise at the same time engine belt slowly turning over. E-Flashers on even though the switch is off. And the word done displayed in odometer spot. Any ideas???? Help!!!

Joe

Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
shelbydaytona
Banned

electricity does funny things when there's bad connections, inadequate amperage even with good voltage. and then throw into the mix a recent jumpstart which this proceedure has caused numerous electronic failures. just because u have 13-14v doesnt mean u have enough current. install known good battery and rerun tests

Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
ENCSDEI

I was having the same thought. I dont happen to have a clamp on Ameter around and I know current is flow of electricity and the battery will not hold . So first thing tomorrow was a trip to the store for a new battery. The Bat in there now is original. Hope that works next after that would of course be to look at the starter. Thanks for the help. These forums are soooo much help I dont know how we fixed things 30 years ago, lot more trial and error I suppose. I will post results to help the next guy. Thanks again

Joe

Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 PM
ENCSDEI

Also found out the word done displayed means the computer went into a self check mode and the fact it said done with no code numbers is a good thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
ENCSDEI
Thumbs up

Battery did the job. Put a new battery in last night and trouble free starting. The Negative terminal had corroded away underneath teh corrosion washer and fell right off when removing. Thanks

Joe

Old 10-11-2009, 02:55 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by ENCSDEI
Battery did the job. Put a new battery in last night and trouble free starting. The Negative terminal had corroded away underneath teh corrosion washer and fell right off when removing. Thanks

Joe
Good to hear you got it fixed and reported back to us.

So many take advice received here, turn tail and never provide any feedback to help others.

A weak battery or bad power because of faulty terminal or whatever can result in current flowing all which way creating the "haunted vehicle syndrome". Wipers working without the switch being on (or the fuse being in place), dash gages going nuts, etc.

I have experienced that after repacing a window regulator / motor while taking my time and having the radio playing and the doors open. The new window regulator / motor worked just fine, but the vehicle was haunted otherwise and wouldn't start either. After retracing my steps to see if I had messed up I figured I must have done something screwy somewhere that I couldn't find and decided to go for broke and use jumper cables. The Van started just fine and all the "ghosts" departed, never to return again. I had run the battery down and the electronics didn't like it at all.

So, welcome to the "Haunted Vehicle Club". Great Haloween story, eh.

Quick Reply: done showing on odometer