Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Dodge Caravan Slider won't open

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Budisstrange
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Caravan Slider won't open

Drivers side slider door.
I removed the panel from the inside and tried to open manually, no luck. There is an override that when the gas door is open the slider won't open. There is an inspection hole on the inside and gas door override appears to functioning properly. I can put my hand on the latch and manually pull the release but nothing. It acts as though the latch is broke. It appears the only way to remove the latch is to have the door open. Is there someway other than destroying the door to open if the latch is broke?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
circumventor
Banned

aint no connection between gas door and slider door i seen allot of minivan gas doors missing cuz of the slider whackin them. yall gotta feel around in the door latch and find the trip levers i had one that the power lock jambed the latch so i had to do what yall did pull the pannel and get my hand in there to release the latch.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Budisstrange
Default Door won't open

When the door was working, if you opened the gas door the slider won't open. There is a wire on the gas door that jams the latch of the slider door so it won't open. I can see the wire clear up to where it goes to the latch and when you open the gas door the wire moves, so I am assuming that it is not the problem. I can see the latch and get my hand and feel around, it sure don't feel like there is any trip wire except the one that goes to the door handle. No matter how hard I pull on the release lever, nothing happens.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
circumventor
Banned

ok yall, i ckecked a few 96s we got around hear. and what i found is everyone of them opnes like to a first click as if you didnt shut her tight so does yalls door do that? or dont she open at all?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Budisstrange
Default Slider door won't open

The door is in normal closed position and will not open.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
circumventor
Banned

then yalls prob aint in the gas door latch need to figgure out the regular door latch cuz she's probly stuck

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
46FD04
Rookie

My brother-in-law's 1997 van did the same thing. To get it open, try this VERY CAREFULLY!

Have someone on the outside hold the door handle open.

Then you go inside, and gently kick the rear portion of the door, where it pops open first. This may work.

If it doesn't, I'd check the door lock mechanism. Maybe the lock is not unlocking when you lift the lock tab.

It is a pain, I know.

After a while, my brother-in-law's door would not open at all, and he just gave up. He never got it fixed.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Budisstrange
Default Stck Door

Thanks, We tried kicking the door while door latch pulled, nothing. I'm convinced the door latch is broken. I read somewhere else that someone used a sawsall to cut off the latch. I think that's what I'll have to do.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Caravan Slider won't open