Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Disable 2005 dodge caravan door chime

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable 2005 dodge caravan door chime

How I disabled 2005 dodge caravan chime when driver door is open
How to disable 2005 dodge caravan open driver door dinging bell

I removed the plastic cover from the driver's door. Don't ask how. I was so mad with that annoying chime that I just ripped it off, and cut off a piece of inner plastic driver door cover with a drywall saw.

Then I found the door lock connector, pushed its release tab/lock and unplugged the power door lock connector from inside. The door lock is located in the middle of the door edge. This door lock is the device that actually locks the door and keeps it closed. Then I released two snap-in anchors to free the connector's wires.

Try the above first. The chime could go away and you are done. Do not re-attach the connector.

If the chime goes on, take the next step.

I disconnected the battery, removed the fuse and replaced it with a very thin self-made stranded wire fuse (to prevent high current if I shorted + with - by mistake).

I made a small jumper using a solid telephone wire (you can use a paper clip) and I inserted the jumper and shorted/connected purple/black wire with orange/white wire. I actually inserted/shorted/connected connector's contact terminated to purple/black wire with the contact terminated to orange/white wire.

Then I reconnected the battery (with the jumper described above in place). There was no chime!!!

I disconnected the battery, removed the jumper, put the original fuse back in place, reconnected the battery - still no chime. I started the motor - no chime with the door open.

Do not re-attach the connector.

The only negative thing - I lost the driver door power lock button capability. Driver door lock button is now manual only.

I did it and succeeded, but be careful. I think it is possible to burn Central Timer Module or something else, especially without that temporary very thin self-made stranded wire fuse. (I am not a pro)

Now I open the door and hear no chime!!! Life is good again!

Disgrace to Dodge desgners

Old 11-07-2009, 10:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Wouldn't have been easy just to remove the door ajar switch?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to remove the door ajar switch?

Quick Reply: Disable 2005 dodge caravan door chime