Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Dodge Grand Caravan p1782 issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Dodger4life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge Grand Caravan p1782 issue

My 96 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3l 6cyl. is in limp mode. It threw out the codes p1782 and p1783 using a OBDii scanner. I replaced the solenoid pack and checked the transmission fluid. Erased the codes and van drove okay for half a day and then it was back to the "check engine soon" and limp mode. I was told to replace the output and input sensors but wanted to have a second opinion before I start buying more parts.

Does anyone know where else I should look at on my van?

Thanks in advance~

Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
circumventor
Banned

my opinon is yall need a real scaner and not a reader so yall can see whats up with the trans computer. then you aint just throwing parts at the prob. yall could have bad wires connect or bad sol pack again or bad comp or bad sensers or somthing bad in the trans or allot of other things. but i'd never ever throw a output senser at it unless the speedo dont work. and hey yall replaced the sol pack, well then yall had to unplug the input senser, ever think maybe she unpluged?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Dodger4life

I did check the input sensor and that was fine...so that wasn't unplugged or anything.

Anymore, suggestions?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Of course it's fine... That actually was a really good suggestion to check that sensor since it needs to be removed to pull the solenoid bolt under it. I suggest you get a scanner that will access transmission computer data and codes. Counting on PCM codes to solve transmission problems tends to not be accurate enough for proper diagnosis. I agree, who ever 'told' you to throw the sensors at it is a total idiot. That quality speller is right that if the output speed sensor was bad, you'd have no speedometer readings. Both codes are related to the pressure switches in the solenoid pack. This can be caused by a loss of prime meaning the transmission has a low pressure problem which can be caused by a plugged filter, low fluid level, bad pump, internal leaks or pressure relief valve problem. Try doing a search for the diagnostic routine on these codes. I have access to this from a Factory Service Manual, so my additional suggestion is: Get a Factory Service Manual and follow the diagnostic proceedures to pinpoint the problem

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Grand Caravan p1782 issue