Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

intermittent whine in 3.3 2006 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 PM
MK_Teacher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question intermittent whine in 3.3 2006 Grand Caravan

I have recently starting hearing an rpm related whine in my new-to-me 64,000 mile 3.3 Grand Caravan. I have read many posts about a blocked filter on the power steering reservoir of Dodge vehicles. This whine sounds like what you would get if you overtightened the tensioner on a VW Rabbit engine's cogged timing belt. Is this the noise that should cause me to change that reservoir? As a second owner, I wonder if this would be a warranty item. I love the way this van drives, but frankly the problems I have seen reported on this forum are tempting me to feel buyer's remorse. Any words of reassurance out there?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
m1a2tank

I found this on a different forum:

Loud screeching sound plagued my '01 Voyager 3.3l immediately after startup. Although the noise would go away after few minutes, it sounded hideous.

I tried some suggestions from this board, such as swapping the starter under the theory that the starter gear was not retracting. Changing the serpentine belt also made no difference. Another suggestion that marginally helped was siphoning and replacing much of the fluid in the power steering reservoir.

After digging deeper, I learned that the reservoir has a screen within it that tends to clog. I purchased a new one from Chrysler for less than $30, along with high-end power steering fluid, and replaced it. Now, the noise is completely gone.

Here is how to change it. The reservoir is on top of the engine and is very accessible. To swap it, siphon out as much fluid as possible. You can use a turkey baster, but remember that turkey-day is around the corner. Next, remove the two bolts on top of the reservoir with an 8mm socket. Then use pliers to remove the two hoses clamps connected to it. There were two unrelated tubes that were in the way, which pulled off by hand and made clearance easier. There is one bolt underneath the reservoir that needs to be loosened (not removed) with a 10mm socket. Removing the two hoses from the reservoir took penetrating oil and muscle, even with the clamps removed. Overall, it took about 45 minutes and was not too difficult. I now consider replacing the reservoir as a maintenance item for higher mileage vans. Hope this helps.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...+whining+noise

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-27-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The reservoir has been a problem with the minivans, What color is the cap on the reservoir? Reason is there are two different caps for the power steering reservoir, one color (yellow) may have a smaller screen than the other which has a larger screen. Ck with your local dealer for the updated part number for the reservoir. And use ATF+4.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:39 AM
vickersg

Originally Posted by MK_Teacher
I have recently starting hearing an rpm related whine in my new-to-me 64,000 mile 3.3 Grand Caravan. I have read many posts about a blocked filter on the power steering reservoir of Dodge vehicles. This whine sounds like what you would get if you overtightened the tensioner on a VW Rabbit engine's cogged timing belt. Is this the noise that should cause me to change that reservoir? As a second owner, I wonder if this would be a warranty item. I love the way this van drives, but frankly the problems I have seen reported on this forum are tempting me to feel buyer's remorse. Any words of reassurance out there?
I have this rpm related whine on my 2007 DGC with 45k on it. The funny thing is that it only rears it head after the car has been run a long distance (> 1 hour on highway). Driving around town for normal daily use does not cause the low whine. Does this sound like the power steering issue?

Quick Reply: intermittent whine in 3.3 2006 Grand Caravan