Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Speedometer and Tach jumping and van stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM
WillLuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer and Tach jumping and van stalls

The saga:
My uncle gave me a 2002 Caravan. Just a plain caravan... not a Grand or SE. The van was running perfectly when he stopped using it 6 months ago. First thing I get is the van starts lurching/jumping sort of like the tranny was shifting gears. So I ran the ignition diagnostics and got some tranny codes including P0700 and I think 2 other P07## numbers. I took the van to the local dealer and they charged me $100.00 just to tell me that it would cost $500 or $600 to find out what is wrong with it. They won't be seeing me again. I did some research and figured I'd buy a refurbished Transmission Control Module and installed it on the van. I also replaced the Power Control Center (Fuse Box) which was seriously coroded. Some of the pins were actually coroded right through. The tranny codes are gone but the lurching is still there. Also, the van decides it wants to stall from time to time and be hard to start. These problems are more prevalent when the van gets warmed up after running for about 20 - 30 mins. Rad is full.

New codes coming up now are:
P1684 (battery has been disconnected within last 50 starts) - This I know I have done a number of times. Check.

P1282 (Fuel pump Relay Control Circuit) I have checked the relay and it is fine according to the directions I read to check it. I don't know how to check it further than the relay in the fuse box.

P1495 (Leak Detection System) I have no idea where to start on this one.

Please help!!!

Last edited by WillLuff; 05-11-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Both codes P1282 and P1495 could be wiring or PCM. I do have pdf files for these codes, but you do need a scanner or a DRB3 to perform these test.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
WillLuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input Master Tech. Any chance you could tell me where to find the PCM? I have access to a scrapped 2003 Caravan. Do you think the PCM would be the same or does that need to be reprogrammed like the TCM? However, a new problem has come up. I go out this moring to start the van and it won't go. Tried for 3 hours. It finally did start ran for a bit, restarted 3 or 4 times then quit again. New code coming up now. P0340 Camshaft Sensor Circuit. Can anyone tell me hwere this might be located? Is it just another relay? Do I need to take apart the engine? Is there any chance all these codes could be linked to one problem?

edit. one more thing. While trying to start the van, the tachometer is going all over the place.

Last edited by WillLuff; 05-12-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Speedometer and Tach jumping and van stalls