Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Bizarre Problem with Radio Volume

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 02:40 PM
Domers8987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre Problem with Radio Volume

I have a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with XM radio. Recently the radio volume stopped working consistently. On most starts, I now receive volume for ~3 seconds, followed by a pop/beep, followed by ~3 seconds of silence. The pattern continues throughout the entire drive. This happens whether using XM, CD, or bluetooth. This problem is not repeatable though, as some ignitions cycles the radio works fine, and on some other ignition cycles, the radio will begin working after 15+ minutes of drive time. I cannot correlate the issue with temperature or driving conditions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the problem or how to diagnose? I don’t think it is the speakers since I get no volume from any of the speakers when it is not working. I don’t think it would be wiring/connections because I have experienced where the radio is working at the end of an ignition cycle, but then on the next ignition cycle the radio does not work (thus no bump or change in the wiring/connection). I am wondering if it is a problem inside the receiver unit itself, possibly a bad solder joint or connection issue.

Is there any way to diagnose the problem? Any thoughts on how to repair?

(Note: The AM/FM receiver stopped working years ago. Based on other research, I believe this is due to a bad solder joint in the unit itself.)

Old 03-02-2020, 11:05 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Domers8987
I have a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with XM radio. Recently the radio volume stopped working consistently. On most starts, I now receive volume for ~3 seconds, followed by a pop/beep, followed by ~3 seconds of silence. The pattern continues throughout the entire drive. This happens whether using XM, CD, or bluetooth. This problem is not repeatable though, as some ignitions cycles the radio works fine, and on some other ignition cycles, the radio will begin working after 15+ minutes of drive time. I cannot correlate the issue with temperature or driving conditions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the problem or how to diagnose? I don’t think it is the speakers since I get no volume from any of the speakers when it is not working. I don’t think it would be wiring/connections because I have experienced where the radio is working at the end of an ignition cycle, but then on the next ignition cycle the radio does not work (thus no bump or change in the wiring/connection). I am wondering if it is a problem inside the receiver unit itself, possibly a bad solder joint or connection issue.

Is there any way to diagnose the problem? Any thoughts on how to repair?

(Note: The AM/FM receiver stopped working years ago. Based on other research, I believe this is due to a bad solder joint in the unit itself.)
Hi Domers8987, We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
DodgeCares

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Bizarre Problem with Radio Volume