Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Caravan SE, very hard starting, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 PM
billyzack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Caravan SE, very hard starting, help!

Hello all, I am new here and have a question that I have been trying to research and am getting nowhere so I thought I's ask the guys that may have had the same proble. My 02 Caravan just started being hard to start. It turns over fine, but takes quite a while to get going. I get in and turn the key , I can hear the fuel pump go on, and it feels like only one cylinders fires. I try again and the same thing and after maybe 10 or 20 tries, it starts. It sputters a bit and sometimes quits after 5 seconds or so but after that I turn the key and it starts and runs. After that it runs well, I can drive 50 miles without a problem, doesn't miss or run rough. If I try to start it when it is warmed up, it starts right up, it seems only when it hasn't been running that I have the problem. The battery is good, the starter turns over, I am thinking fuel filter but it runs good after it starts. I am baffled and also layed off so I would like to fix this myself if possible as I don't really have the funds to take it to a shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Billy from Phoenix

Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM
shelbydaytona
Banned

dear baffled. based on your detailed description, i believe the problem lies in the fuel pump. i would recommend you cycle the key a couple times before attempting to start. if starting improves, i feel the problem has been identified.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM
billyzack
Default Fuel pump

I always cycle the key at least 10 times before it begins to start. I thought fuel pump also but if the fuel pump is bad, why does it run so good after it starts, even on the freeway? I don't get it. Thanks, BZ

Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
shelbydaytona
Banned

well, that rules that out just goes to show i haven't a clue what so ever on fixing cars. time to take it to a professional. internet problem solving is very limited in actually repairing your vehicle.
oh and for the fuel pump. there's a check valve in the pump, when it goes bad it looses pressure, once it starts and runs it runs fine cuz pressure is fine short term off time doesn't have enough time to loose significant pressure but after 3 key cycles, you have to wait a while for the pump to cycle. idk why that is but on every chrysler i've worked on, after the 3rd key cycle, the pump doesn't prime unless you wait a bit then try again but then this is only my opinion and shouldn't be taken as absolute possible solution to your problem

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
per4manz
Amateur

billyzack:

Did you happen to solve your problem? I am having a similar issue on the same year and engine (Sport model though).

Quick Reply: 02 Caravan SE, very hard starting, help!