Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2002,2.4 Ltr, Grand Caravan] - Jerking, bucking on low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
montforts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [2002,2.4 Ltr, Grand Caravan] - Jerking, bucking on low rpm

Good evening.

Since last year I drive a "Chrysler Grand Voyager, 2.4 Ltr. from 2002" (it should be compatible to the Dodge Grand Caravan). It has a stick shift control. This model is common here in Germany; probably in other EU-countries too. When I bought the car it started to shake/buck when I drove it really smooth below 2.000 rpm (cruise) or downhill. I bought new spark plugs, a new iginition coil and cables. I cleaned the throttle body, the bypass of the throttle, bought a new actuator and the sensor for the "negative" pressure.
After all it became a little bit better but the effect comes now below 1.800 and it shakes only 3-5 times and not 10 times or more As a work around it push the clutch lever pretty early, but this is not comfortable while driving through cities, traffic jam etc.
I bought a new TPS too from standard parts, but than I got an engine error signal on the dash board. I couldn't do anything against. If I clear the error memory it comes back immediately after ignition. I drove around 50miles, switch on/off, the error remains. Therefore I replaced it with the old TPS and the signal disappeard after a while and didn't come back. Difficult to explain.

Below 1.400 rpm is more or less ok. Over 2.000 rpm there is no problem at all. Only when I reduce speed (completely closed throttle) it comes to this effect.
I went to the Chrysler Dealer over here, but the analysis of this problem will cost me about 135$ per hour!!! Estimated time for this job: somewhere btw. 5-8 hours or even more ... I couldn't get a fixed price.
This way I ask around in some garages, but Chrysler/Dodge is not really common - its like driving Mercedes in the USA
The O2 sensor was checked too and the car has a new clutch ... guess I did everything without buying a new engine.

Does anybody has an idea? I'm thankful for every advice to solve this problem.

Kind regards from Germany

Montforts

Quick Reply: [2002,2.4 Ltr, Grand Caravan] - Jerking, bucking on low rpm