DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   New to us 2003 Grand Caravan - Some Questions (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/240344-new-to-us-2003-grand-caravan-some-questions.html)

birchy 04-02-2010 10:09 PM

New to us 2003 Grand Caravan - Some Questions

Hello all,

We recently purchased a 2003 Grand Caravan Sport with only 67,000km! So far so good, other than a few minor things.

One thing that's been happening since we've owned it is that the left signal light will not click off on it's own when you turn the steering wheel back straight. You need to manually click it off. Not a huge big deal, just a bit of an annoyance is all. Right signal clicks off just fine. Is this a common problem? Is there a relatively easy DIY fix for it?

Mechanically it's in excellent condition. It passed an inspection and all that needed attention was the rear brake pads, and the front sway bar link arms and/or bushings. It has the knocking sound when going over bumps which I've been reading lots about on here! haha

The fuel economy has been higher than I expected so far (currently sitting at 16.2L/100km) with a mix of probably about 90% city/10% highway driving. Finally had some time today to have a look and noticed the air filter was BLACK and the throttle body had a bit of carbon build-up. Replaced the air filter right away and gave the throttle body real good cleaning (about 3/4 of a can of throttle body cleaner). I also upped the tire pressure from the recommended 36psi, to 40psi after reading a few people comment about that on these forums. Have a 5L jug of Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 sitting in the back, as well as a new oil filter. Just need to make an appointment with my buddy to use his garage and get that changed ASAP as well.

Which leads me to my last question - is the oil change procedure pretty straightforward? To date it's just been easier to go to the local Mr. Lube and have them do it, but I've finally decided to suck it up and do it myself. I have an oil filter wrench, a proper oil container, and as mentioned above, the new oil and oil filter. I see that the oil filter in an excellent spot, so it should be easy to change. I'm assuming it's just a matter of removing/replacing a drain plug with a regular ratchet and socket. But I just want to make sure that there's nothing weird that has to be done that I wouldn't be expeciting?

After that's all done, I'm going to reset the fuel economy computer gauge thingy and I'll report back after a few hundred KM's.

Thanks all!

master tech 04-02-2010 10:32 PM

The first problem is the multi function switch, I always run 40 PSI in all my cars and truck. Keep your speed limit at 55 mph.

birchy 04-03-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by master tech (Post 2075824)
The first problem is the multi function switch, I always run 40 PSI in all my cars and truck. Keep your speed limit at 55 mph.

Thanks. I did some searching for the multifunction switch and that seems pretty straightforward.

I'm definitely the smooth driver in the family - my wife is the agressive driver. I'm always accelerating slowly and smoothly, and I try to encourage her to do the same. One of these days I might hook up one of those OBD2 devices that shows you real-time fuel economy numbers. That might help her understand a bit better. haha

Since you didn't comment on the oil change procedure i'm assuming it's like I described. One thing I didn't ask that I've thought of since. Do I need to get a new gasket for the drain plug? Or can I re-use the old one?

2002caravan 04-03-2010 07:17 PM

The signal problem is most likely the switch as previously said but while replacing make sure your clock spring cam didn't come loose. Oil changes are easy just like any other car.

birchy 04-11-2010 11:25 PM

Alright, so after a week of driving.. fuel economy is now sitting at 12.6L/100km (18.7 mpg).

Not sure that we're going to get any better than that with our driving habits. One thing I thought of after posting the initial message (and reading some other threads) is that we're so close to everything we need - so probably 75% of our driving is <10km trips within the city. I don't even think the van gets warmed up properly most of the time.

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with the drop from 16.3 to 12.6L/100km!! It's amazing what a few small "tune-up" type jobs will do.

Ole Goat 04-12-2010 12:19 PM

Engine pros & cons

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

birchy 04-12-2010 01:20 PM

*edit* Thanks

Ole Goat 04-12-2010 03:44 PM

Its gone sorry so now you can remove your quote and were even.

birchy 09-02-2010 02:42 PM

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.. right?

You'll have to forgive me because our 2003 GC didn't come with an owners manual, and I've yet to pick one up.

Up by the display where you can see the compass/temperature/fuel economy information, etc. There's a little hole with a bright green light inside (when the lights are on). What is it for?

rahrahsmom82 09-17-2010 07:22 PM

Air Bag

Has anyone ever had a problem with their 2003 dodge caravan se passenger side air bag deploying on its own? Ours did and I took it to the shop and the only code registering is the seat belt.