Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 MFI - not firing on #1 and #5

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 AM
butler06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 MFI - not firing on #1 and #5

I searched the van areas and couldnt find anything on it. So Im posting this thread hoping someone has had the same problem.
Sorry I dont have any codes.
OK First off Our Van started running bad So I had my uncle come over since he had a repair book with codes (this was several months ago so i dont have the book or codes or know how to use the key for codes and I have a little extra money right now to try and repair it) anyway the codes came back it needed a map sensor so I replaced it and it still ran bad. Then we started pulling wires while the van was running to try and find anything and when we pulled number 1 fuel injector it didnt make the engine run any worse. So we thought it was the injector, so now several months later I replaced the injector and replaced all the o rings and the new intake gasket. Still running bad, and when I pull the number 1 injector nothing still no difference. So now i figure out that there is no spark going to that cylinder (wish I would of checked for spark earlier) and Im getting electrical current to all the injectors, So i figure out that there is no spark coming from number 1 and number 5 off the ignition coil. So I replaced the ignition coil and still no spark coming from 1 or 5 off the coil, So Im at a stand still because i dont want to pay $200 for a ECC to find out that it is still running bad. So do you think its the ECC or should I try and trace down the wires and check them out, they are all wrapped and harnessed together really good.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance James

Old 07-03-2010, 09:22 AM
sapporo
Banned

have someone put an scope comparing cam and crank signals for alignment. i real that your exact problem is frequently a broken flex plate.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I can send you a pdf file for the code you are having.All i would need is your email address.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:44 AM
butler06

Im sorry guys I messed up my original question...
It is cylinder #1 and #4 that is not sparking from the ignition coil, #5 is working fine.
again sorry for the mess up and thanks alot for the responses its greatly appreciated.
James

Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 AM
internetauto

most part stores can pull codes for you.

have you changed/checked the spark plugs on it?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
sapporo
Banned

you could unplug the coil pack and the pcm using a dvom, check continuity of the control wires (4 wires to coil pack 1 is power and the other 3 go to the pcm where the pcm controls ground on the pair of coils) also check the wire for short to ground when testing.

Quick Reply: 1996 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 MFI - not firing on #1 and #5