Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

rear wheel hub removal

Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 PM
erap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel hub removal

is there any special tools to remove the 4 bolts on the rear wheel hub on my 99 grand caravan i can loosen the 2 top one but im having a problem loosening the two in the bottom?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

No special tools,other than a box end open combo wrench.Unless you are working on a all wheel drive van.Before removing the bearing assy spray WD40 around the bearing and then knock it off with a hammer.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
erap

thanks

Old 08-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Jetmeck2

If the bearing is trashed by all means beat the crap out of it. But if you are putting a bushing in for alignment purposes or something else where you will be using the bearing over then log on to SPX MILLER SPECIAL TOOLS.

They have a tool I have used that will gently push the bearing out. Big sledgehammer is for amateurs and Dodge techs. lol

Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

When dodge Techs are paid by the hour,they will use the right tools.When you are being paid flate rate or piece work, Then you will use a BFH. The last time i did rear axle bearing assy,it was a seal unit.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:48 PM
sapporo
Banned

the OP's question was about the bolts.

BFD if you use a BFH. I can guarantee you there isn't more than 1% of alignment shops that would have this special tool. WTF cares anyway, the man is replacing his bearing with a new one.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Jetmeck2

Well then unless you like replacing those expensive rear bearing hubs don't take it to the 99% of the body shops out there. ! Ask how they remove it beforehand. BTW smart boy the OP does not state he is going to replace his. fOR ALL WE KNOW HE IS REUSING IT ? Do you know something we don't. People do what you will with your own vehicle. Don't listen to me, we have over 450,000 miles on Caravans and haven't had to replace one rear hub bearing assembly yet because when it was aligned I used the correct tool instead of letting the goof with the torch and big hammer have at it. Putting in a new one go for it and beat the heck out of it. If reusing use your head and push it out gently, the proper way.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
sapporo
Banned

whatever, you're not even 1/2 way to the miles on my minivan yet. and WTF does a body shop have to do with wheel bearings.

I've had 1/2 dozen gen 3 minivans puke rear bearings and several dozen needing fronts just this year. (but then I sell over 100 of them per year)

Last edited by sapporo; 08-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Jetmeck2

You know damn well I meant alignment shop, but whatever you know it all. So your minivan has 900,000 miles on it huh ? Maybe you should contact the Guinness Book of Records, that has to be a world record. Maybe you wouldn't be replacing all those bearings if you used the correct tool for the job. People use your head. A tool made for the job that gently pushes the bearing out or a freakin torch and big freakin hammer. I 'll leave it at that, just use some common sense. Some on here have none. Later

Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM
sapporo
Banned

what ever you win. you managed to garbage up another forum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear wheel hub removal