DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   Need help replacing transmission shift solenoid (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/271970-need-help-replacing-transmission-shift-solenoid.html)

Big ty 12-11-2010 01:50 PM

Need help replacing transmission shift solenoid

I like to know any instruction on how to replace a transmission shift solenoid for 2000 dodge caravan is it something easy to do or best to pay some one.

master tech 12-12-2010 12:59 AM

Welcome to DF
SOLENOID/PRESSURE SWITCH ASSEMBLY
REMOVAL
Disconnect battery negative cable.
Remove air cleaner assembly.
Remove the Transmission Control module (TCM) Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Disconnect and remove the input speed sensor Input Speed Sensor
Disconnect the transmission oil cooler lines. Cap off hoses and fittings to prevent foreign matter intrusion.
Disconnect the solenoid/pressure switch assembly connector.
Remove the three solenoid/pressure switch assembly-to-transaxle case bolts Attaching Bolts
Remove solenoid/pressure switch assembly and gasket Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly and Gasket
CAUTION: Be sure to keep foreign material from entering ports in transaxle case. Erratic transaxle operation and/or failure can result

INSTALLATION
Install solenoid/pressure switch assembly to case using a new gasket Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly and Gasket
Install bolts and torque to 13 N·m (110 in. lbs.) Attaching Bolts
Install 8-way connector and torque screw to 4 N·m (35 in. lbs.)
Uncap and install transmission oil cooler lines.
Install input speed sensor Input Speed Sensor and torque to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.)
Install Transmission Control Module (TCM) Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Install air cleaner assembly.
Connect battery negative cable.
Perform Transaxle Quick Learn Procedure. Refer to Service Procedures.

Big ty 12-12-2010 03:15 AM

You think this is something i should try my self or just pay some one.

master tech 12-12-2010 09:35 PM

You can do it yourself. Its really not that hard. All you need is a 8mm or 5/16 socket and a 10mm socket with a long extension.

peshewa 02-20-2011 08:16 PM

Is this procedure that simple on all years? I have a 1996 with a 3.0 that needs a new solenoid pack also. Also, is there a link to the transmission re-learn procedure you spoke of?

22DODGE22 02-20-2011 08:52 PM

1996 3.0's didn't come with a solenoid pack. They were 3speed transmissions in the van in 1996, 1997 with the 3.0.

As for replacing the pack, you also must have an inch-pound torque wrench so you can properly torque the 3 bolts. 105 inch-lbs.

peshewa 02-26-2011 06:55 PM

I was looking at the parts on ebay, one shows a sort of rectangular thing with 3 short tubes in the middle, and the other is something just larger than a spark plug. Do you which one I have & what it takes to replace it? My local tranny shop says $350 but that seems high since I assume I can do this on my own with a bit of clear information here.

steak59 02-26-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by peshewa (Post 2429732)
I was looking at the parts on ebay, one shows a sort of rectangular thing with 3 short tubes in the middle, and the other is something just larger than a spark plug. Do you which one I have & what it takes to replace it? My local tranny shop says $350 but that seems high since I assume I can do this on my own with a bit of clear information here.

Well, I think the Solenoid pack cost $220 ish, $350 for parts and labor isn't that bad.
If you have experience with wrench, it is not hard at all. Just go easy on those bolts, They are small and fragile. If you snap it, you are doomed.

What clearer infomation do you need? Take out the air filter box, you can see the nuts and bolts holding the solenoid back in, and two trans cooler line on top of it. just start unbolting them.

22DODGE22 02-26-2011 08:12 PM

3.0 caravans in 1996 don't have a solenoid pack. 3.0's in 1996 didn't come with overdrive transmissions.

hemi4spd 02-26-2011 11:49 PM

i have one in my driveway that says your wrong 22Dodge22

peshewa 02-27-2011 06:34 AM

Now I am even more confused. I know that every manufacture loves to mix stuff up in ways that repair manuals dont seem to indicate, so I assume it may be an overdrive tranny as a simple matter of anything is possible. I have no ego here, so I can be wrong & it wont matter, I just want to get the thing fixed. Oreiley's website has 2 options for solenoid, please look at these & give me your thoughts. The first one is cheap. I would love it to be that. Okay, a quick note on what is going on. It shifted fine when I got it, then in the butt-cold of Iowa winter, it starting going back & fourth between 1 & 2 gears, then if I hit a bump it would shift normally until a small bump came around again. I am about to trade my car for this van to a good friend of mine. My car gets aweful mileage so this trade is good for me. I am going to trade her as soon as she gets the part then I will own the van.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ssion+solenoid

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ssion+solenoid

22DODGE22 02-27-2011 08:22 AM

You don't have an overdrive transmission. 1996 3.0 engine minivans only came with a 3 speed transmission. You do not have any shift solenoids, no solenoid pack, no transmission computer.

peshewa 02-27-2011 03:58 PM

This is good then. I did go look at the van, and confirmed there is indeed no overdrive on the selector. The lady I am getting this van from from describes her issue like this, and keep in mind a local tranny shop told her it was the solenoid, but not the tranny shop I usually go to. Her description - .I can b driving or just sitting @a stop sign and I can feel it shift rather hard, then it won't shift again after that. I've tried letting off the gas to try to help it shift n it doesn't help. It doesn't do it with any predictability. Only occasionally. My fluid levels are fine. - So, now that I know there is no solenoid pack, and the tranny shop said it needs a new solenoid, what else do you guys think it could be?

slg64 06-02-2011 10:29 PM

03 GC solenoid pack

I'm replacing the trans solenoid pack on an 03 GC and have looked it over to see what I'm up against... master tech's step by step above sounds good but I'm wondering if all those will apply to my 03? It doesn't look like the air cleaner, TCM and maybe the input speed sensor have to come out? Definately the cooling lines and radiator overflow... is this model specific?

slg64 06-02-2011 10:31 PM

sorry that reply was for another thread....site re-directed me....

master tech 06-02-2011 10:51 PM

sig64

Yes it still applys, you just don't need to remove the air cleaner.

slg64 06-03-2011 12:29 PM

I get the input speed sensor....but the TCM isn't in the way....is there another reason it needs to come out...you also mentioned a procedure that needed to be done after the repair was complete...where can I find out more about that?

master tech 06-04-2011 12:00 AM

It doesn't. This is for the early solenoid packs. The only parts you need to removed is the input sensor.

Caravan Man 08-01-2011 02:08 PM

Question for Maser Tech... after reviewing the information you have provided in this trread, I would like to say they are very clear and seem easy to follow.

I noticed that in this thread, you were giving the step by step instructions for replacing a transmission shift solenoid for a 2000 caravan.

I am wondering if the same steps hold true for a 2005 grand caravan

Also... I have read that a person should not use Dextron ATF in a Dodge transmission.

Any thoughts on that?

Also... I have heard that Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and is a great product.

Any thoughts on that?

when I go to buy the parts I need -- should I go ahead and replace the TCM too? I am having some shifting issues... up and down... seems to have lag time and shifts hard.

finally... do I need to know what kind of transmission I have (model number) in order to buy the correct parts (TCM; solenoid pack or shift solenoid; and the Speed Sensors -- i think there are two types, right)?

I have NO idea what kind of tranny I would have in my 2005 Grand caravan.

nflybye 02-03-2013 11:34 PM

Needing some more info, please.

Originally Posted by master tech (Post 2518932)
It doesn't. This is for the early solenoid packs. The only parts you need to removed is the input sensor.

2003 Grand Caravan flex fuel.
I am wondering if I need to do the re-learn after I am done with the replacement. Also, do you know of a good video of the step-by-steps on the trans solenoid? Any help would be great. Thank you.

r2d2mr dodge 01-28-2014 07:49 PM

im buying a selenoid box for a 03 dodge caravan 3.3 motor , do i need to do a relearn procedure or i dont need it s not shifting properly, the vehicle was scanned.:icon_frown: