Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 PM
cstirnfst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Caravan no start

First time here, thanks in advance for any help..

Wife's car is 2002 Caravan with the 3.3L V6. Ran fine the other night. Next morning, would crank fine but not start.

Turn key to 'On' and can hear whirring sound of fuel pump for 1 second. Removed spark plug, put near exhaust manifold, turned key and could see continuous spark.

I had difficulty finding fuel schrader valve, but I found one in passenger side, near headlights. It's connected to a small canister (about 3in. by 2in.). Is this the correct schrader valve to relieve fuel pressure? If so, nothing comes out. Even after turning key many times to prime over and over. But the fuel pump primes based on its typical sound.

Also no engine light/codes (I think it's burned out but I did the MIL test with the key and odometer said 'done' right away)

I've never had to work on this engine so it's a bit new to me. Any ideas for my next step?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you confirmed fuel pressure is there?
if not may be pressure regulator

Old 12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
cstirnfst

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge. What I just did was disconnect the incoming fuel line from the fuel rail, and put that hose into a glass jar. Then I turned to key to 'on' many times. Not a drop ended up in the jar.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would say the fuel pump has failed.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
hemi4spd
All Star

ya no gas is an obvious problem, you hear the pump whirlin but theresn no fuel? either the filter is completely plugged or the pumps shot. or its leaking out somewhere but you'd probably see/smell that

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
cstirnfst

I just changed the filter. After turning the key to see if gas came out of the hose prior to the fuel rail, no gas came out. So trying to figure out if it's the pump, I disconnect the output line from the filter and get sprayed with gas, meaning there's plenty of pressure in the line that were just empty 2 minutes ago.

Reconnected that line and disconnected the small 10 inch or so rubber line that goes from the metal line to the fuel rail and get more pressure in that line. It's that small rubber hose that seems to be clogged, since I get gas pouring out of the metal line when priming. (but it won't go past that small rubber hose)

I can't even blow through it. It looks like there's some kind of valve inside it, but if I can't blow through it, then gas can't get by at 40-something psi.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 PM
cstirnfst

Quick update. The Caravan is now running fine. I learned that the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail has a safety valve inside that was preventing any fuel (or air) from getting through it while it was disconnected. This valve opens when it is connected by the metal line on the fuel rail. Looks like I learned something new :-)

Anyways, had it towed by AAA to a shop who charged the dead battery (from constantly trying to start it) and it started right up for him. My guess is that water from recent rains drenched some wiring. The last time I drove it fine was in the rain. The next morning it wouldn't start. The weatherstripping at the back side of the hood blew off recently so any rain can fall on the engine.

By the time it got to the shop the wires/conponents had dried enough to start like normal. At least that's what it looks like. Thanks everyone for your help.

Nathan

Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 AM
hemi4spd
All Star

thank you for the update, glad its all sorted for you

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan no start