Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Grand caravan

Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Notadodgefan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 01 Grand caravan

Working on this vehicle for our facility. Not finding any answers for the issues it is having. Have spent several hours reading on different forums and there are hundreds of people having the same issues. Dealerships give them the run around and charge money out the *** for some bogus fix. I think they all need to be driven off of a cliff....
So here's the problem.... battery drain.
New battery, no accessories to draw power, have checked draw from all of the circuits and all are normal. Removed IOD and that created more problems. Wipers will turn on, lights flash, washer pump comes on...when the battery is going dead. . Cables are all tight. No corrosion. Have tried every "fix" that I have found posted. Anyone have any other bright ideas....

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Battery dies overnight? You have checked for a draw on the battery? How many milliamps does it draw?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Notadodgefan

It draws anywhere from 17 to 23 milliamps. It has been an on-going issues for a couple of years.
Almost makes me wonder if the computer is turning something on after being parked for so long. It can go days and not have any problem, then all of a sudden it's dead.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

sounds like it, anything under 30ma is concidered normal but usually they go lower than that. I would expect to see below 10 on a minivan. Maybe you have a module not going to sleep all the way. Had a lot of issues with radio's back then. I would be tempted to start unplugging modules to see what is still using that amperage. Might get you somewhere, might be chasing you tail.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Notadodgefan

Thats what it feels like I am doing.... chasing my tail. I will start there and see if it gets me anywhere.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Welcome to my world, tough to fix something when it acts up once every 3 days.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Notadodgefan

I have fought this thing for a long time.... ready to drive it off of a cliff. Very frustrating to not be able to troubleshoot something and fix it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

I hear that, hope we get lucky.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Notadodgefan

May be on to something. While I had it sitting here in the shop yesterday, I had the doors open on it. After about 15 minutes, the computer killed the interior lights (like its suppose to). But about 2 hours later, I heard a clicking noise and went to check on it and the interior lights were back on, the battery had dropped to about 3 volts and there were 2 relays in the IPM clicking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 Grand caravan