Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Caravan parking brake adjustment

Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Caravan parking brake adjustment

I searched "parking brake adjustment" and found a thread on a '98 van stating that there is no adjustment.

I have a 2005 Caravan (98K miles) with rear drums. I've pulled the drums and inspected the shoes for material - still plenty.

I then adjusted the rear running clearances (both sides) to miminize clearance without dragging.

When I park on an upward "hill" like my driveway, the parking brake pedal must be fully depressed to the floor and only just holds - if it is in neutral and I psuh the van downhill (backwards), it will move.

On my '93 Grand Caravan, there was an adjustment under the driver's seat/floor pan to remove slack/stretch in the two rear cables via an adjustment nut.

The end of the front cable on the 2005 does not appear to have any means to remove the brake cable slack/stretch.

Am I looking in the wrong area? Do I need to buy new cables?

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is from the service manual. It is possible that the self adjust mechanism on your ebrake pedal isn't working, I have seen that before. Only repair is to replace the pedal assembly

PARKING BRAKE CABLES ADJUSTMENT

The park brake cables on this vehicle have an automatic self adjuster built into the park brake pedal mechanism. When the foot operated park brake pedal is in its released (upward most) position, a clock spring automatically adjusts the park brake cables. The park brake cables are adjusted (tensioned) just enough to remove all the slack from the cables. The automatic adjuster system will not over adjust the cables causing rear brake drag.
Due to the automatic adjust feature of the park brake pedal, adjustment of the parking brake cables on these vehicles relies on proper drum brake (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/BRAKE PADS/SHOES - ADJUSTMENTS) or park brake shoe (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/PARKING BRAKE/SHOES - ADJUSTMENTS) adjustment.
When the park brake pedal is applied the self adjuster is by-passed and the pedal operates normally to engage the park brakes.
When a service procedure needs to be performed on the park brake pedal or the park brake cables, the automatic self adjuster can be manually locked out by the service technician.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Caravan parking brake adjustment