Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help! 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM
tsenior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

Hi,
My 2000 GC has 119K. After ~8-10 hours of highway driving the van "kicks" back and forth at slow speeds. It even stalled on me and kicked again when I started moving. Other than that the car drives fine, it is well maintained.

I had all my belts and transmission fluid changed before taking it out.

Unfortunatley, the problem didn't happen again when my mechanic checked the car and he dismissed the issue.

It has happend a few more times since my trip. Is my transmission going bad?

Thanks,
T.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be any number of things. For now just make sure the tranny fluid is full and try to verify the fluid used on recent tranny service was ATF+4. Did the service engine soon light come on? Have you checked for codes?

If it's stalling as you come to a stop or slowing on an off ramp it would point to the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. The opening in the Throttle Body (TB) it controls can get grimed up. Remove the air duct and thoroughly clean the TB with a TB or carb cleaner.

Fuel pump, ignition coil, crankshaft sensor, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, PCM, any loose or corroded connection are other common causes. Sensors commonly send erroneous data without throwing a code.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM
tsenior
Smile

Thanks for the response. I will find out about the tranny fluid. No codes were thrown.

More concerning than the stalling is the "kicking" motion when coming to a stop or upon accelerating at a stop light. What's up with that? It's just plain scary...

Could it really just be a sensor or a corroded connection that could cause this?

I live in Atlanta and I am planning a three week road trip to the Grand Canyon this summer. I plan on taking this van. Is it a bad idea to take it?

Thanks,

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kicking sounds like the torque converter isn't unlocking at low speeds as it's supposed to.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
papaduck
Professional

Sounds like the torque convertor.

I do not know if this can be done on the vans, but I had a Buick that the convertor would not unlock when coming to a stop after a long drive. I disconnected the wires to the convertor and it stopped the problem. Fuel mileage dropped a little. I knew I would be getting rid of the vehicle soon so left it that way.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
tsenior

Well,
As it turns out my van was stolen over the weekend. It was recovered but is sitting in an auto wrecker's lot waiting for the adjusters assesment.

Thanks everybody for your responses!

Quick Reply: Help! 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan