Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

engine wiring harness & dash pad removal 1996 town & country

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine wiring harness & dash pad removal 1996 town & country

I have a 1996 town & country with a 3.3 - I recently changed my transmission solenoid pack because it tested bad. It was still stuck in 2nd gear. I disassembled the wiring loom that goes around the bottom of the radiator & found 6 wires that were broken, burnt in 2 or simply did not test as having a good connection on both ends of the loom. Now it shifts through all gears. I had to remove the fuse for the interior lights because after my repair the battery would run down over night. I imagine I nicked another wire from that circuit causing it to ground, but given how bad the wires look it seems like a good idea to just replace that part of the harness. The dealer told me they have to have them built for nearly $1600 - painless does nothing for mini vans and had fun containing their humorous reaction when I called them to ask. Anyone know how to get this part without cutting it out of a junyard doner of questionable quality?

My information center above the gauge cluster is also dead, but I can not figure out how to remove it or the dash pad on top of it. Can some one out there please give me a heads up on how to do that please?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

INSTRUMENT PANEL TOP COVER
REMOVAL
1.Remove A-pillar trim.
2.Using a trim stick, disengage clips holding rear edge of top cover to instrument panel Instrument Panel Top Cover
3.Disconnect wire harness from message center.
4.Pull top cover rearward to disengage hooks holding front of top cover to instrument panel.
5.Remove top cover.
INSTALLATION
1.Place instrument panel top cover in position on vehicle.
2.Push top cover forward to engage hooks to hold front of top cover to instrument panel.
3.Connect wire harness to message center.
4.Engage clips to hold rear edge of top cover to instrument panel.
5.Pull top cover rearward.
6.Install A-pillar trim.

Quick Reply: engine wiring harness & dash pad removal 1996 town & country