Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ABS, Brake, Check Engine Lights On...Speedometer and Tripodometer don't work either!!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
iiOrphaN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, Brake, Check Engine Lights On...Speedometer and Tripodometer don't work either!!

Hey everyone! My mom has a Dodge Caravan and is having several problems and we need any help you would be willing to give. One morning she started up the Van and the ABS light and Brake indicator lights came on. The speedometer and tripodometer doesn't work. The check engine light is on, My dad pulled the battery cables off for about 5 minutes and then put them back. The check engine light went out, but came back on several miles later. We checked the fuses and relays, they were fine. I am trying to help her so she doesn't have to take it in to a shop where they want to do test and pay out the pocket. I have no idea and wondered if anyone could help point out the problem so that she doesn't have to buy several parts to find the real cause. Its a 2000

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by iiOrphaN; 04-21-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need the model year?

Either do the key cycle procedure to read what code is generating the CE light or better yet head to an Autozone or the like and have them read the code with a scanner for free. The code will likely be the key to fixing this. With all that going on it appears you have a problem with the data bus.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
iiOrphaN

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Need the model year?

Either do the key cycle procedure to read what code is generating the CE light or better yet head to an Autozone or the like and have them read the code with a scanner for free. The code will likely be the key to fixing this. With all that going on it appears you have a problem with the data bus.
Its a 2000

Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is it a 2000? lol

Usually when the cluster is down, which is what you are describing, you have a bus down. The cluster inputs are mostly from other modules which the information is delivered by the bus. When the bus goes down, the cluster has no inputs......the abs lights come on, the check engine light comes on, no gauges, etc. If you have the codes read, I'm sure you will have many no communication with module codes. Tough to track down for a do it yourselfer. No real common issues. If it were the cluste itself, it usually dies and goes blank. Any module on the bus can take it down and there are many. Do you notice anything else that doesn't work? How often does it happen?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
charles101

could possibly be the speed pickup sensor, don't know exactly the name of it.

How does it drive? Act like it doesn't want to shift correctly?

If that sensor goes out, you will not get a tach reading or speedohmeter reading, the check engine light will come on. If it's a 3.0L, it's easy to change that part and the part is very cheap from local parts store.

I've also had a problem where the battery was going bad, and the instrument cluster did not work. Replaced the battery and everything worked no problem, but I do not think the check engine light came on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS, Brake, Check Engine Lights On...Speedometer and Tripodometer don't work either!!