Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2009 Caravan Won't Downshift Manually

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
RedRam2002
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2009 Caravan Won't Downshift Manually

My 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L, won't manually downshift anymore when I push the button and push the shift lever to the left. Started acting up this summer, right when I need the ability to engine brake going down steep hills. I've noticed the small access panel on above and to the right of the shifter and popped it off. It seems to have a lever/button that can be pushed but I don't know what this does and it didn't help to get the van to manually downshift.

I've searched and found no one that seems to have posted any info on this problem but someone else must have had it as well.

The following users liked this post:
Michael P (08-05-2022)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:41 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2009 Caravan. I found that the problem was caused by a broken wire in the shifter assembly. There is a four wire harness that gets bent to a 90 degree angle when shifting from park into drive, one of the wires was broken inside the insulation. The other three wires were on the verge of breaking also. I repaired the harness by cutting out the bad section and splicing in new wires, I staggered the splices, soldered them and applied heat shrink tubing.

You will need to remove the shifter assembly to do this repair, this involves dis-assembling the dash.

Here are some photos of the shifter assembly and the harness in question:

George

Michael P (08-05-2022)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 AM
RedRam2002
Professional

Originally Posted by georgef
I had the same problem with my 2009 Caravan. I found that the problem was caused by a broken wire in the shifter assembly. There is a four wire harness that gets bent to a 90 degree angle when shifting from park into drive, one of the wires was broken inside the insulation. The other three wires were on the verge of breaking also. I repaired the harness by cutting out the bad section and splicing in new wires, I staggered the splices, soldered them and applied heat shrink tubing.

You will need to remove the shifter assembly to do this repair, this involves dis-assembling the dash.

Here are some photos of the shifter assembly and the harness in question:

George

Thanks for the info. Is it difficult to dis-assemble the dash?

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Caravan Won't Downshift Manually-harness_1.jpg   2009 Caravan Won't Downshift Manually-harness_2.jpg   2009 Caravan Won't Downshift Manually-broken_wire.jpg  
Michael P (08-05-2022)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomas_so
Thanks for the info. Is it difficult to dis-assemble the dash?
Not really difficult, just a lot of pieces that need to be removed. You can get a good idea how to dis-assemble the dash from the remote start installation instructions HERE. Start with the instruction for "Antenna Installation" on page 9.

George

Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice writeup George. This is a new one for me.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:09 PM
RedRam2002
Professional

Seems like this fix lasts around 3 years or so depending on use of the vehicles.

Surprised there's not much info on this problem or complaints other than here but I guess many don't use the manual shift option. This is an issue that Dodge should be repairing for free and I'd suspect the problem will plague all 2008-2016 Dodge Caravans and Chrysler Town & Country's.

Does anyone know if Chrysler sells the wiring harness on its own so there's no need for the splice and soldering of new wires?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:49 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tomas_so
Seems like this fix lasts around 3 years or so depending on use of the vehicles.

Surprised there's not much info on this problem or complaints other than here but I guess many don't use the manual shift option. This is an issue that Dodge should be repairing for free and I'd suspect the problem will plague all 2008-2016 Dodge Caravans and Chrysler Town & Country's.

Does anyone know if Chrysler sells the wiring harness on its own so there's no need for the splice and soldering of new wires?
No sir. Only 2008-10 had this shifter. I've seen zero issues with 2011 and up minivan shifters.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:05 AM
RedRam2002
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
No sir. Only 2008-10 had this shifter. I've seen zero issues with 2011 and up minivan shifters.
Are the 2011 and up shifters compatable for a swap into 2008-2010?

Old 08-05-2022, 09:12 AM
Michael P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRam2002
My 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L, won't manually downshift anymore when I push the button and push the shift lever to the left. Started acting up this summer, right when I need the ability to engine brake going down steep hills. I've noticed the small access panel on above and to the right of the shifter and popped it off. It seems to have a lever/button that can be pushed but I don't know what this does and it didn't help to get the van to manually downshift.

I've searched and found no one that seems to have posted any info on this problem but someone else must have had it as well.
That small white button under the cap, top right corner... Is for when you need to get it out of park. You pop the cap, press that button and hold till your out park gear. And as for your manual shift problem, mine" 2009 Chrysler mini van ", will only down shift (pushing to the left) but nothing going up gears. I seen there is small wires ran through your shifter housing and there bending back and forth until the wire breaks. Hope I could help you with something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Caravan Won't Downshift Manually