Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 PM
danacat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?

Does anybody have any knowledge on replacing the whole passenger side view mirror assembly on a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan ? I am weighing the option of living with the blemished housing and just replacing the shattered mirror, or just replacing the whole unit. But I don't want to replace the whole unit if there is a good chance I could mar, scratch, or break the interior trim if I have to remove it to get to the electrical connections. I think I can figure out the outside unit, just not sure what it will take to reach the electrical connections.
Thanks in advance for any info or insight.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The door panel has to be removed because the wiring from the mirror goes to the drivers door module. Good chance you could mar, scratch or break the panel removing it. Once the panel is off, mirror assembly is pretty easy, 2 screws and lift.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
danacat
Rookie
Question

Yikes. Thanks Tizzy. Now I have to rethink this. Do you know if its possible to unplug the wiring from inside the old mirror, remove new wire from new mirror, and plug the old wire inside the new mirror ?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

No, it comes right out of the motors, no connectors inside. Glass is pretty easy to replace.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM
danacat
Rookie
Question

Tizzy, do you know of any videos out there that show a door panel being taken off of a newer 5th gen similar minivan (like Chrysler or Dodge)? I've been all over the google sites I could find, and could only find older minivan(4th gen and before) videos of door panels being removed. The closest I found was a still picture blog of a newer minivan door panel removal, but would like to find a recorded video of it to see if I am willing to risk attempting it.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Best I can do is send you the removal and install from the service manual. Worst part is the retainers that hold the panel to the door are reluctant to let go. So usually a couple of them break.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
danacat
Rookie

Ok, I'm feeling brave, sort of. I went ahead and ordered the whole assembly. We will see what happens. I will let ya'll know what happens.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM
danacat
Rookie
Lightbulb

I have another idea, don't know if it will work or not, until I see the new mirror assembly and connection. I had just picked up a cheap trim tool set (5 pc.)from Harbor Freights for 6.99 (actually 6.02 after the 20% off coupon I had - they are generous with coupons since you can find the 20% anywhere online, in mailers, in store). Anyway, I used one of the tools to carefully pry up the window/mirrow control buttons module (black rectangle) from the door and looked inside. It might be possible (tell me if I am wrong) to unplug and route the new wire and connection to the module without removing the door panel. I know it's a tight little space, but with a small tool mirror and patience, it looks possible, as long as the wire runs freely and is not connected anywhere besides the mirror and control module.

Last edited by danacat; 06-19-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:16 PM
danacat
Rookie
Thumbs up

Ok, I finally finished replacing the mirror. (First I had disconnected negative battery cable, then gently pryed the mirror sail cover from inside the door). Then I lifted up the 2 screw covers (one under door release handle, and one inside door pull cup), and removed the torx screws. I had to take the door panel about half way off because the mirror electrical connection (wire) does have an anchor point (a plastic snap) to the metal frame just under the door panel, and the electrical plug has a very tiny press clip you have to squeeze to disengage it from the control module inside the door. I had pryed up the window control module to give me access inside the door panel without removing it, to reach the electrical plug with my hand, which I did, but because it was the third plug in the row of plugs to the farthest left, there was not enough room for me to disengage the clip because of the tiny snap clip that has to be squeezed just right to release the plug. Trying to take the old mirror apart to leave the electrical wires for the new mirror did not work because the complex way the electrical wires are run through the mirror assembly, I figured I would tear up the new mirror trying to run them in place, even if I figured out how to release them from the old mirror (though they do unplug easy enough from the two connections inside the mirror, but that's a mute point.).

So I finally got brave, and tried (stupidly) to pry the door panel off in the dark ( I should have had patience and waited until daylight). I first used the thinner trim tool and laid on the ground under the door, trying to use the trim tool and door frame as leverage to pry the door panel out. It wasn't working that great, and this morning I noticed lots of really tiny chips in the paint right at the line where the door panel touches the metal door frame. Either they were already there, or I did that using the trim tool incorrectly, and in the dark not realizing I was doing that. But not a big deal because they were so tiny and at the very bottom of the door they can't be seen.

Then I remembered reading somewhere online someone suggesting to use either a trim tool or a paint scraper and start at the bottom corner (in my case I chose the bottom left corner closest to the mirror since that was the side I needed to work on), and pry the door panel while lifting up. So this time I used the wide, flat ended trim tool, stood in front of the door and carefully pryed the door panel out (holding the tool against the panel instead of the door frame), and pulling out(instead of laying down and using the door frame as a leverage for the smaller trim tool), until I heard my first wonderful snap of a door clip releasing. I continued working the left side of the door up to the mirror until all clips on that side were released. I was using a smaller trim tool to try and reach under the door panel and release the plastic (mirror) wire anchor from the door frame when I realized each pry I was also loosening the door panel more and more (I was inadvertently lifting the quarter inch plastic lip of the top of the door panel up over the window's ledge, loosening the door panel more and more, giving me more room to work). Replacing the mirror, then, was a snap. Before putting the door panel back on, I reconnected the negative battery cable and made sure the electrical mirror control worked. Then when putting the door panel back on, I made sure each of the plastic door clips was aligned in their respective white clip holes (one was wedged sideways off center) before snapping the door panel back in place (once every plastic fastener clip was straight, I used my hand to gently pound around the edge of the door frame until I heard each tiny faint snap of each clip securing to the door panel tightly against the frame). Oh, and I never broke any of the snap clips, to my surprise. Once I realized what I was doing, the whole job was rather simple. Now I have confidence when I decide I want to change the door speakers, unlike before .

Here is a link to a picture of what the door panel on my DGC pretty much looks like looks (as far as the clips being in the exact same place, but didn't take time to compare smaller details) (and mine is gray). It shows the location of each plastic clip.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...726#post246726

Last edited by danacat; 06-25-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
danacat
Rookie

Here are some random pictures I snapped while I worked, in case they might help someone else. Only allowed me to upload five.

Attached Thumbnails How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?-trim-tool.jpg   How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?-sail-panel-removed.jpg   How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?-old-mirror-electrical-wire-attached-to-frame.jpg   How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?-control-module-mirror-plugged-into.jpg   How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?-mirro-plug-black-left.jpg  

Last edited by danacat; 06-26-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: How to replace passenger side view mirror assembly 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?