Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Front end noise (clunk) when cold temps outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 PM
LundgrenMarc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noise (clunk) when cold temps outside

Hi, I have a 2000 Caravan Sport with 115K. When the temps outside drop into the middle 40's or colder there is a clunking sound in the front when you hit a medium size bump or bigger. The sound comes from whatever side hits the bump, sometimes both sides. It has new front hubs, tie rods, new swaybar bushings and links. The struts have about 45k on them. The steering seems to be tight. The car has been aligned twice in the last 2 years. The clunking has been going on for a couple of years. I never does it when it's warm out. Any thoughts? Strut mounts/bearings?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 AM
papaduck
Professional

Most times what you are describing is caused by the sway bar bushings. I have replaced mine twice in 125k miles. I know you said they are new, but would be worth checking again and make sure the bolts are tightened all the way.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
LundgrenMarc

papaduck, did you install rubber or polyurethane bushings. All I could find is polyurethane?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
papaduck
Professional

I do not know which type I used. They are black and I got them at NAPA.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 AM
wtribeflyer
Professional

There is a TSB regarding this for gen 3 vans (I think). Maybe on of our dealer guys could post it. I read it once and it involves loosening and retightening the whole front subframe. Common problem. Mine does this too. 1996 GC 3.3 LE

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is Service Bulletin 61381

Do not have access to the entire bulletin, but there is one for it.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

NUMBER: 02-004-01

GROUP: Suspension

DATE: July 6, 2001

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retreival system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

SUBJECT:
Knock/Squawk Sound From Front Suspension

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing new front sway bar link assemblies.

MODELS:
1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1996 - 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2001 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2001 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
1. A squawk/creak/groan sound is heard when turning the steering wheel at a stop
or during a low speed turn such as a parking lot maneuver.
2. A knocking/clunking sound is heard from the front suspension while
driving over rough/bumpy roads.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. With a helper in the vehicle, apply the parking brake, start the engine and turn the
steering wheel in both directions. Reach between the top of the front tire and the wheel
well lip and grasp the sway bar link. Listen or feel for the condition described above while
the wheel is being turned. If the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
2. Drive the vehicle over rough/bumpy roads to verify condition. Raise the vehicle
on an appropriate hoist and perform a visual inspection of the front suspension.
Repair or replace any loose, damaged or worn components and test drive vehicle.
If the condition is still present, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 04743454AA Link, Sway Bar

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle on a frame contact hoist.
2. Remove both front wheels.
3. Remove the upper and lower sway bar link nuts and remove the sway bar link.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SUBJECT:
Knock/Clunk Sound From Front Strut Area
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing revised front sway bar link retaining nut/washer assemblies.
MODELS:
1999 – 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1999 – 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A knocking/clunking sound coming from the front sway bar link is heard inside and outside
the vehicle when driving over rough roads.
DIAGNOSIS:
Grasp and attempt to shake each front sway bar link. If either sway bar link feels loose
check the upper attachments at the strut to determine if either washer is missing. If both
upper washers are present, raise the vehicle to check the presence of both lower washers
at the sway bar attachment. If any of the four washers are missing, perform the following
Repair Procedure to replace
all four nut & washer assemblies.

PARTS REQUIRED:
4 06505291AA Assembly, Nut/Washer
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle on a frame contact hoist. See Hoisting in the Lubrication and
Maintenance section of the appropriate service manual if you are unfamiliar with the
procedure.
2. Remove both front wheels.
CAUTION: WHEN REMOVING THE NUTS FROM THE STUDS OF THE STABILIZER
LINKS, DO NOT ALLOW THE STUD TO ROTATE IN ITS SOCKET. HOLD
THE STUD FROM ROTATING BY INSERTING A TORX PLUS 40 IP BIT IN
THE END OF THE STUD. USE OF A NON-PLUS IP BIT MAY RESULT IN
ROUNDING OUT THE END OF THE STUD.
3. Remove each stabilizer link retaining nut/washer while holding the stabilizer link stud
with a Torx Plus 40 IP bit, do not allow the stud to rotate in its socket.
4. Install revised nut/washer, p/n 06505291AA and tighten to 88 Nm (65 ft. lbs.).
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other three nut/washers.
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
02-03-00 -2-
6. Install both front wheels, use a criss-cross pattern to tighten the lug nuts to 70 Nm (50
ft. lbs.) and then use a criss-cross pattern again to tighten to a final torque of 135 Nm
(100 ft. lbs.)
7. Lower the vehicle.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:42 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

thanks for seperating it tizzy, didn't have much time to bold it all and everything

Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional

Here is the one I was thinking of. This is heard during accel or decel I think

NO: 23-01-97 Rev.A
GROUP: Body
DATE: Dec. 5, 1997
SUBJECT:
Under Body Creak Or Knock Sound
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-01-97, DATED JAN. 21, 1997, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND CHANGES THE MODELS INVOLVED AND ADDS A NOTE TO THE REPAIR PROCEDURE.
MODELS:
**1996 - 1998** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
**1996 - 1998** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Creak sound heard upon acceleration and/or deceleration (may sound like a front seat creak). Sound seems to come from floorpan/dash area at the left, right or both sides of the vehicle.
Knocking or squeaking sound when going over rough roads. Sound seems to come from floorpan/dash area at the left, right or both sides of the vehicle.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves repositioning the front suspension cradle rear tapping plate retainer and front brake hose bracket(s).
Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.

NOTE
: LOOSEN ONLY ONE FRONT SUSPENSION CRADLE BOLT AT A TIME.
Loosen one rear attaching bolt of the front suspension cradle. Back the bolt out so there is 5/8 inch clearance between the bolt head and the flange/face of the cradle isolator.
Use a soft face hammer to drive the rear attaching bolt up so when the bolt is pushed up by hand as far as it will go, the bolt head and the flange/face of the cradle isolator have approximately 1/4 in. clearance between them.

**NOTE
: WHEN TORQUING THE CRADLE BOLT, ENSURE THE TAPPING PLATE INSIDE THE FRAME RAIL DOES NOT ROTATE AND COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE WALL OF THE FRAME RAIL OTHERWISE ANOTHER NOISE SOURCE WILL BE CREATED.
Torque the rear attaching bolt to 163 Nm (120 ft. lbs.)
Repeat steps 2 through 4 for the other front suspension cradle rear attaching bolt.
Inspect the front brake hose brackets (right and left), if there is less than 6 mm (1/4 in.) clearance between the brackets and the frame rail, bend the bracket so a 6 mm (1/4 in.) clearance is obtained at each bracket.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: 13-30-05-90 0.3 Hrs.

Quick Reply: Front end noise (clunk) when cold temps outside