Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Dodge Grand CaraVAN 68K - need advice on Preventive maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
jkutti2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Grand CaraVAN 68K - need advice on Preventive maintenance

Hi, I recently acquired a 2003 Dodge Grand CaraVAN 68K - need advice on preventive maintenance.
past owner said he did all regular Oil changes . Assuming i can partly trust him on this. its 2003 car.. almost 10 years old and 68K
what are the major things I should keep in mind assuming he missed doing the 60K maintenance job

things on my list
Transmission flush?
fluids flush -like power steering?
radiator coolant flush?
check the PCV valve?(is this some thing I can do?)
replace spark plugs and wires ?
inspect Serpentine belt?
what about cleaning the fuel injectors? should I use some of those fuel additives or get it done at an auto shop.
please advice what else I could check. I have a reliable independant auto shop but they are not too knowledgeable. and I prefer to do research and explicitly demand certain things tbd rather than rely on them to recommend services to me

thanks
Dallas TX-( where we have brutal summers)

Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Dan400Man
Professional

Congrats on finding an '03 with only 68K miles. Guessing rust isn't a problem in Dallas. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay?

Given that no one's responded yet, I'll chime in with what little I know, based on my experience. Generally speaking, the owner's manual gives good recommendations on service intervals. However, given the items on your list, I'll opine on the following:

Transmission flush: The 2003 had a 60k mile interval for this, if I remember correctly. Assuming yours has the A604 tranny, what's interesting is the 2006 I have now also has the A604, and the owner's manual has NO service interval for changing the fluid. I had mine changed at the 95k mark anyway. When I had the 2003 GC, the tranny shop I've trusted for over 10 years recommended a 40k interval for the A604. Better minds than mine on this forum may offer better info/recommendations than I can, but I would probably find a TRUSTED tranny shop and get the fluid service done.

Replace spark plugs and wires: Don't have the owner's manual in front of me, but I seem to recall this was a 100k miles interval. I recommend 60k. If you're thinking about doing this yourself, see the "Sticky" post "Tizzy1 and others DIY information" in this forum and look for the pictorial that shows how to remove the wiper cowl.

Fuel injector cleaning: Check out the thread I started today and for which I am still awaiting a reply.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flush the cooling system and replace the PCV valve as well. If you remove the cowl for spark plug replacement, the PCV valve is on the back side valve cover.

As long as it runs ok, just use a fuel system cleaner you add to your gas to clean the injectors.

Mopar does not recommend flushing brake systems, power steering or any other system besides coolant and transmission.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 AM
jkutti2000

thks.. - I paid 4500 for this. from a private party( known acquaintance)

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Grand CaraVAN 68K - need advice on Preventive maintenance