Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power steering belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 AM
saltmarsh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering belt

The power steering belt on my 2002 Caravan Se with the 2.4L 4 cyl engine is slipping.

I'd like to install and tension a new belt.
It's a hassle since the serpentine belt must first be removed. But the worse is
I simply can't get at the pump's bolts, two on the bottom and a lock bolt and adjustment bolt on the top, either by reaching behind the engine, down the firewall or from underneath. I'd need 4 ft arms that bend at odd places. Is there a trick to this?

tnx,

Doug

Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REMOVAL

GENERATOR AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT
  1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  2. Remove the drive belt shield (Accessory Drive Belt Shield). WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW DRIVE BELT TENSIONER TO SNAP BACK, AS DAMAGE TO TENSIONER AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY COULD RESULT.
  3. Position a wrench on the belt tensioner lug (A/C & GENERATOR BELT TENSION RELEASE).
  4. Release belt tension by rotating the tensioner clockwise (A/C & GENERATOR BELT TENSION RELEASE).
  5. Remove belt.
  1. Carefully return tensioner to its relaxed position.
POWER STEERING PUMP
  1. From top of the vehicle, loosen locking nuts (D) and (F) (Power Steering Pump).
  2. From under the vehicle, loosen the pivot bolt (E). Loosen adjusting bolt (G) until belt can be removed.

1 - REAR LOCKING NUT (D)2 - ADJUSTING BOLT (G)3 - PIVOT BOLT (E)4 - FRONT LOCKING NUT (F)

Old 05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
saltmarsh

I know the procedure. I just can't access those pump bolts...

Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of it you do through the wheel well or from underneith

Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 AM
RickyBobbyJr

saltmarsh, were you able to get the job done? I've got a similar issue attempting to tension the power steering belt in my 2000 dodge stratus. The procedure indicates that the pivot bolt on the power steering pump should be loosened "from the top of the vehicle" but I can't seem to find a way to put a wrench on it.

Any tips to share?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
saltmarsh

Nope, my power steering belt is still slipping when it's cold.
Other things came up and I've been living with it.
Like you, I've not found a way to get to those top pump bolts bolts that are behind the engine against the firewall..
Perhaps if one literally lays on top of the engine but my back doesn't allow that.

There aren't many vans with the 2.4L engine out there and so apparently there's not a big knowledge base about this on this website.

The quote from the tech manual didn't help plus I have the factory tech manual.
I may well take the van to the dealer as much as I hate doing that.

Doug

Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 AM
Joshua Myers

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
REMOVAL

GENERATOR AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT
  1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  2. Remove the drive belt shield (Accessory Drive Belt Shield). WARNING: DO NOT ALLOW DRIVE BELT TENSIONER TO SNAP BACK, AS DAMAGE TO TENSIONER AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY COULD RESULT.
  3. Position a wrench on the belt tensioner lug (A/C & GENERATOR BELT TENSION RELEASE).
  4. Release belt tension by rotating the tensioner clockwise (A/C & GENERATOR BELT TENSION RELEASE).
  5. Remove belt.
  1. Carefully return tensioner to its relaxed position.
POWER STEERING PUMP
  1. From top of the vehicle, loosen locking nuts (D) and (F) (Power Steering Pump).
  2. From under the vehicle, loosen the pivot bolt (E). Loosen adjusting bolt (G) until belt can be removed.

1 - REAR LOCKING NUT (D)2 - ADJUSTING BOLT (G)3 - PIVOT BOLT (E)4 - FRONT LOCKING NUT (F)
How do you get the adjusting bolt and the front locking nut to meet up upon installation of the pump so that I can adjust the tension?

Quick Reply: Power steering belt