Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

broken spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 AM
e1mariem
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken spark plug

While attempting to change the spark plugs on 02 Grand Caravan Sport w 3.3 Flex, I broke off one of the plugs in the head, leaving a little of the ceramic and some metal sticking out. I have been unable to extract it, and will be taking it to a local shop.

My question, is it safe to drive it on 5 cylinders, or will this destroy something serious? it's a short drive, and I don't want to pay for a tow.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest threat would be damage to the catalytic converter but if it's just a few miles you should be ok. Doubt you'll ever see it but if the service engine soon light (MIL) flashes it means the cat will be damaged if you keep the engine running.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 AM
modain
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the the injector wire for the cylinder that has the broken spark plug. It won't get any fuel or spark, so there won't be any cat damage to risk. You will most likely get an injector related MIL code, but that will clear after it's driven a while with everything back in place.

Quick Reply: broken spark plug