Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission fluid/filter change

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Linebacker_47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid/filter change

Hey everyone

My mom calls me up whenever she has a problem with her van and i do what i can to fix it. Yesterday she called me saying it was shifting hard, shes owned the van since 03 and has not done anything to the transmission since than so i figured fluid and filter change is a good place to start. The fluid that was in there was grey and everything is going fine except for some confusion im having over how much to put in. I took out just under 5 liters of grey fluid, from what i can find online and in the repair manual is says 9.1 quarts which is about 8.5 liters, i dont see how the van could of lost the much fluid? am i only suppose to put in 5 liters? is the book wrong? any help would be great thx

This is the vehicle info
2000 dodge caravan base
3.0L engine
4 speed auto tranny 41TE

Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The transmission will take 4.5 qts of ATF when the filter has been replaced.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Linebacker_47

okay thanks, haynes manual does not specify the difference between total refill and filter change like it does on other ones i have. The owners manual is missing do i check the fluid while the van is running or no?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read this - don't know if it is true or not - I'm sure a Technician will jump in on this if it is false: You should always disconnect the battery. Yes, it will reset the computer but it will also make smoother shifts with the new fluid.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Linebacker_47

I usually reset the pcm only for intake\outtake mods, never heard of doing it with the transmission. Anyone know if the van has to be running to check transmission fluid?

Quick Reply: transmission fluid/filter change