Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Engine won't crank

Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM
godplayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't crank

I've searched this topic and found some useful info but now I just need to confirm I didn not miss anything before my friend buys the part.

The 2002 3.3L van worked fine a few days ago. She shut it off and a bit later went to start it and it wouldn't crank. All the dash lights came on as usual. Everything seems to work but it just won't turn over. She tried to start in neutral and still nothing. She was told by her buddy that it was the starter. When she turns the key a bunch of relays clich in the fuse box under the hood by the battery. I switched relays. Still nothing. The relay is ok. I removed the starter relay and jumped it with a piece of wire. The starter rolls over the engine fine. So the starter is ok. So it seems to me that the power is getting to the fuse box under the hood because a bunch of relays click when she turns the key but the power isn't making it to the starter relay. I removed the fuse box and some connections were corroded. I cleaned them up and still nothing. Am I right in diagnosing this problem as the fuse box?

On a side note it has a aftermarket autostarter that she doesn't have the keyfob for and has never used.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
22mopar22
Banned

any time you get into aftermarket stuff in the system, you increase the chances of failure!!!!

start with simple stuff, get a wiring diagram. check for power where there needs to be power, check for grounds where there needs to be grounds

have you tried removing the starter relay and using a jumper wire (aka paperclip) between the correct terminals (30/87) to see if it rolls the engine over?

when you did the starter jumper test, did you have the key on and did it start with jumping the starter?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
godplayer

Yes I did that and the starter worked fine. The engine did turn over but it would not start even with the key in the on position.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
22mopar22
Banned

so now you need to go back to power to the ignition switch. check IOD fuse.

nothing more fun than trying to fix random odd electrical problems via the internet with someone who doesn't have sufficient tools to get accurate information (real scanner)

Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my advice tear out that auto starter and throw it in the drink.
If i had a dollar for all the cars that wouldnt start caused by those crappy things I'd be a rich man.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by godplayer
On a side note it has a aftermarket autostarter that she doesn't have the keyfob for and has never used.
Say buuuh-bye!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM
godplayer

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
so now you need to go back to power to the ignition switch. check IOD fuse.

nothing more fun than trying to fix random odd electrical problems via the internet with someone who doesn't have sufficient tools to get accurate information (real scanner)
So I need to check to make sure power is getting to the IOD fuse? I know the fuse itself is ok because I checked every fuse.

So if I remove just the autostart module under the dash will that be enough or do I need to remove all autostart wiring too?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
godplayer

I disconnected the autostart. Didn't help. There is power to all the fuses that should have power with the key on. I still think it's the fuse box. Anything else I should check?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you know if you have small red dot that comes on the cluster when you are trying to the van? I would for my next step is, do I have power and ground at the starter and is there power at the small ignition wire the starter when you turn the key to crank?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by godplayer
So I need to check to make sure power is getting to the IOD fuse? I know the fuse itself is ok because I checked every fuse.

So if I remove just the autostart module under the dash will that be enough or do I need to remove all autostart wiring too?

Thanks!
IOD has nothing to do with the car starting, running, driving. I can't tell you if you need to take out the wiring too, because I can't see if it is a hack job or not. I can tell you more times than not on aftermarket install jobs, people will tap into the wrong wires and kill modules, make one lock up, malfunction, etc. Just because they see a power or a ground they think it's ok to tap into it.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-01-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine won't crank