Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Caravan 2WD Transmission Problems

Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Mezmaron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan 2WD Transmission Problems

4 cyl engine, it's the 3 speed transmission.

It suddenly begun shifting erratically about a month ago. You'll be going along and it will sometimes suddenly drop out of gear, although it's still barely gripping/moving (but most definitely not 'limp mode' it's like a gear below first!) I discovered that putting it in Neutral and then back into Drive, usually kicks it back to life, though sometimes it takes a few times.

It also doesn't always shift from 2nd to Drive automatically, and again, throwing it in neutral then back to Drive quickly will usually prompt it to shift.

Tonight, I pulled the pan and drained the fluid, and cleaned the pan and changed the filter. The pan had some thicker dark gunk in it in places, but it wasn't all over the place. Upon putting it back together and going for a test run, it seems that it shifts much better from 1st to 2nd, but still gives problems from 2nd to Drive after it's been driven a couple minutes. I haven't driven it around enough to know if it's still slipping out of gear occasionally.

I already had an auto parts store check the codes, and the few that came up had nothing to do with the tranny. Would it be a good idea to change the input and output sensors even though they're not showing up as faulty, or do these symptoms clearly spell out something else?

(failing that, is it possible that the fluid may have actually been the culprit, and that I'm seeing the symptoms re-appearing so quickly because I didn't properly flush the transmission fluid, and thus old fluid still inside it may have re-circulated?)

Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Check the kick down lever. A lot of times when the shaft for the kick down sieze. This will cause the transmission to go into neutral.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Caravan 2WD Transmission Problems