Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan coolant disappearing, no leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
vluu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Caravan coolant disappearing, no leaks

Hi,

I have a 2002 Caravan with 3.3L and 130000KM. Have noticed recently that my enigine coolant have been disappearing. No obivious sign of leaks on the ground and I had a pressure test done and no obivious leaks. The white smoke from the exhaust is not a good test now because it is winter time. I would re-fill the coolant to the max line but with in a week it would be below the min line. Anyone experience and resolved this type of problem?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 PM
04GCAnnEd.

If there are no obvious external leaks, then you need to look internal. Is there coolant mixing with the oil, creating a milky looking result on your dipstick? Is the vehicle overheating? Do you have steam escaping when you remove the oil filler cap while running on a hot engine? The only definitive testing to be completed here would be a compression test on all the cylinders. The results will indicate if you have a faulty head gasket and which side is leaking. Could also be a leaking intake manifold gasket allowing coolant to drain into the crankcase. With the consumption you describe, the cause should not be that hard to find. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Does the white smoke from the exhaust smell like coolant? How long was the pressure tester left on the van, under pressure?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM
vluu

Hi,

Thanks 04GCAnnEd. and master tech for your reply.

04GCAnnEd. - I checked the dipstick and oil looks fine. I have noticed that the engine temperature needle increased higher than in the past, but not overheating as I have been refilling the coolant. As for steam escaping, never paid attention to that, will look into it. But looks like a compression test would be next relevant step.

Master Tech - I never thought to smell the smoke from the exhaust, how should coolant smell? The pressure test was left on quite a bit, and did not that the pressure gauage did drop when left idle.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
usmarine0905

Coolant has a "Sweet" smell to it......

Old 01-28-2012, 12:11 PM
birchy
Rookie

Bumping an old thread.. I have the white smoke/coolant smell in my exhaust.. Head gasket?

Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would say yes, Sorry.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
usmarine0905

Yes head gasket......

Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 AM
birchy
Rookie

Alright.. so to add more info..

Coolant smell in the exhaust when cold started.. and it misfires a bit. But after it warms up, it runs completely fine.. no white smoke, no misfire, nothing. Coolant does slowly disappear over time.. nothing drastic, and no leaks on the ground.

The strange part is the other symptoms of a head gasket failure aren't there... just changed the oil recently and it was black.. no milky color at all. Coolant is as green as can be.

A mechanic friend of mine mentioned that it could be a faulty intake manifold gasket due to corrosion from the wrong type of coolant. It's had the green coolant in it since I bought it (used car dealership), but I've since realized that it's supposed to have a HOAT coolant. He said he's seen it before (with GM's anyways) where the intake gasket gets corroded, and then when the vehicle is shut off, coolant gets into the intake, where it sits. Next time you start the vehicle it runs rough and blows white smoke, until the coolant burns off, and then it's fine.

The description definitely seems to fit the symptoms. Any comments? Have any of you seen this before with the 3.8? How big of a job is an intake manifold gasket to replace?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Mike255K

2002 gcs 255K Missing coolant 1 gallon it fine 1 day ago the temp gauge is redline no smoke or leaks nothing in overflow.
Where can I get a manual for this car online?
How much coolant is in the system and mine is green but youtuber suggest it should be yellow. How long should the car idle before the fans come on?

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan coolant disappearing, no leaks