Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Tow hook measurement needed

Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Tow hook measurement needed

I found the bushing on the support for the front motor mount is worn and needs replacement. In the diagram below, #1 is the support I’m referring to and the bushing that needs replaced is circled.

I was going to just replace it but then I considered swapping the whole bracket for one that has the tow hook as mine currently doesn’t, just in case I do need it someday. I was wondering if anyone has the tow hook and if you could measure how far it extends beyond the edge of the support (marked in red below).

I really don’t expect there to be an issue with the swap as that area on my van is clear and there’s several inches between the bracket and the valance; but I also don’t want to waste the time of ordering and then returning a bracket if it won’t work.

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:28 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are handy enough to do this job then you are handy enough to cut that right off with an angle grinder if you don't like it. Just go for it.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IDon'tGiveARam
If you are handy enough to do this job then you are handy enough to cut that right off with an angle grinder if you don't like it. Just go for it.
Thanks for the idea. It reminded me that I have the genuine handyman spirit to screw things up myself instead of paying someone else to screw them up for me.

I’m not sure what I was looking at before, but I thought the support with the tow hook was more expensive than the one without. After checking a few websites (Mopar and non-Mopar) I guess I was misreading something because that doesn’t look to be the case.

I’ll have to remove the support to replace the bushing anyway so maybe I’ll just weld on a custom tow hook instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Tow hook measurement needed