Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Alternator decoupler noise at 95k...replace the pully or the whole unit?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 PM
happydaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator decoupler noise at 95k...replace the pully or the whole unit?

Loaded 07 SXT Spring Special (heated seats, dvd system, power everything) at 95k. Pulley is a little grumbly at idle-just enough for wifey to notice. I found the Miller puller tool on ebay, so I ordered the decoupler pulley figuring I'd save some bucks by replacing the pully. Then it dawned on me. I have no idea how long these alternators last!

It looks like I'll need to pull the alternator to swap the pulley. Is it a false economy to replace the pulley on a unit that has seen 100K? I'm sitting here looking at my nifty puller and pulley wondering if I should just fork over the bucks for the new alternator. Opinions or experience anyone? How long do these alternators typically last? The ND units seem to have a good rep.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM
javert

Absolutely try to replace just the pulley. I know of many alternator rebuilders that say the pulley is the only thing that goes wrong with the alternator. There is actually a youtube video on how to replace the pulley. It is quite easy and it will save you money and the alternator will last.

Javert.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LitensOAD#p/u/7/ZLFAe3DerqA

Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 AM
happydaddy

Thanks. I will do that. BTW-I think it was your post on the OAD which made me aware of this. I bet you've helped many others with that post.

It looks like I may have enough room to do the replacement with the alternator on the car. Have you been able to do it on the car? Any advice? I think I may need to remove the airbox or the washer reservoir to make enough room to work. I'll need to figure out how they come out.

Rockauto now has the pully. It is now Gates 37015P for around $50. The Miller tool is 8433A. I found one one ebay for about $40 at an auction house that handles dealership closings. They had many special tools.

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM
happydaddy

Well, I was unable to get the OAD off. When I pulled the cover about a tablespoon of dust (rust or metal filings) fell out. The pulley was certainly eating itself alive. The shaft didn't seem rusted, but I could not break the pully loose with the special tool. I was putting so much torque on the tool I was afraid I would either break the tool (as I've read several others have done) or shear the shaft. I basically ran out of time on this one. Put the whole thing back together Sunday afternoon and took it into the shop to today to have a new mopar unit installed. Noise gone. BTW-if you have the Lifetime warranty the tensioner is a freebie.

I'm taking the family on a long holiday trip and I needed to get it done. Maybe if I had more time I would have tried again with a new unit on hand in case I destroyed the old one. I have the miller puller and a brand new OAD if someone wants them. PM me.

Last edited by happydaddy; 11-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator decoupler noise at 95k...replace the pully or the whole unit?