Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'03 Dodge Grand Caravan Starting Problems

Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
mlbirk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Dodge Grand Caravan Starting Problems

I have an '03 Grand caravan Sport with 166m miles. I was getting an engine shudder under load (AC on and/or transmission shifting) and had a MAP sensor error. Before I could replace the MAP sensor, it began not starting.

I started it and let it idle while I ran to get something from the house and when I returned, the van had died. I tried to re-start it but got nothing but click from the starter relay. All lights and accessories worked fine. I disconnected the battery, turned the ignition key to release any current and let it sit for about a half hour. I re-connected the battery and the van started and ran for less than a minute, sputtered and died. Every subsequent attempt to start has failed.

When I turn the ignition key I have strong lights, accessories, radio etc and all dash lights work fine. When I attempt to start, the overhead console gauge lights go out as well as the outdoor temp light and all that happens is that I get a clicking sound from the relay but nothing else happens.

I checked the starter and found a crack in the housing so I replaced the starter, the battery and the MAP sensor. I have checked all of my electrical connections and cleaned them, checked my ground but as of now I cannot get the vehicle to start. Not turning over at all...just a click at the starter relay. I have checked for codes but it says there are no codes at the present time.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ECM has gone bad. Anybody with any ideas?

Last edited by mlbirk; 10-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you try turning the engine over by hand? The engine could be seize.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 AM
glanespong
Default caravan accessories

Hey people.. I started it and let it idle while I ran to get something from the house and when I returned, the van had died. I tried to re-start it but got nothing but click from the starter relay. All lights and accessories worked fine. I disconnected the battery, turned the ignition key to release any current and let it sit for about a half hour. I re-connected the battery and the van started and ran for less than a minute, sputtered and died. Every subsequent attempt to start has failed.
caravan accessories

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM
mlbirk

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Have you try turning the engine over by hand? The engine could be seize.

Thanks for the thought but the engine is not seized. It has started off and on and run for a few minutes. It seems to me like some sort of grounding or electronics problem ie. ECM or BCM I just have not been able to pinpoint it yet.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlbirk
I have an '03 Grand caravan Sport with 166m miles. I was getting an engine shudder under load (AC on and/or transmission shifting) and had a MAP sensor error. Before I could replace the MAP sensor, it began not starting.

I started it and let it idle while I ran to get something from the house and when I returned, the van had died. I tried to re-start it but got nothing but click from the starter relay. All lights and accessories worked fine. I disconnected the battery, turned the ignition key to release any current and let it sit for about a half hour. I re-connected the battery and the van started and ran for less than a minute, sputtered and died. Every subsequent attempt to start has failed.

When I turn the ignition key I have strong lights, accessories, radio etc and all dash lights work fine. When I attempt to start, the overhead console gauge lights go out as well as the outdoor temp light and all that happens is that I get a clicking sound from the relay but nothing else happens.

I checked the starter and found a crack in the housing so I replaced the starter, the battery and the MAP sensor. I have checked all of my electrical connections and cleaned them, checked my ground but as of now I cannot get the vehicle to start. Not turning over at all...just a click at the starter relay. I have checked for codes but it says there are no codes at the present time.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ECM has gone bad. Anybody with any ideas?
No. The fact you are hearing a click tells you the PCM is doing it's job - supplying a ground to the starter relay coil. I would suspect battery cables. Check connections and check the voltage drop through the cables.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '03 Dodge Grand Caravan Starting Problems