Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!

Well thought i had gotten away from it from my 2008. Seems I was wrong. Brand new 2011 just hit 800 miles on the odo and bam...Was backing up and i felt what seemed to be a shudder, I ignored it, i thought i may be over doing it. Drove for 180 miles, when i was getting out of a parking lot bam....shudder on reverse, my brother who works at a ford dealership also noticed it, whe thought well maybe the traction control as it was muddy, so i drove on. 1hr later backing out from the hotel parking lot there it goes again....definately transmission shudder on reverse.....will only doing when there is a slight load towards the front of the vehicle then the transmission will shudder a couple times when going into reverse....Such a nice van and the problems still there, also starting to notice a slight missfire and rough running at idle.....now to look for a good dealership to take it to to get it fixed. Beware seems 2011 has same tranny issues that still have not been resolved.....

Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Does the van have the new pentastar motor? If it does, keep me posted. I have been seeing some misfire problems with the jeep 3.6 pentastar motors.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 PM
gentz
Professional

Master Tech it does have the pentastar......will see what happens.....

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

mmmm well i now thinking mine 2010 might have that but read normal? read it to do with something to the gear ratio or something? it does it most times i back into the drive way \. its got a slope. but i have to give it gas to really overcome the shudder or to me feels like loose of power. hard to describe. something like if i dont give it more gas it will shake a bit. been also feeling bit on gear changes and also if i push it normally idle 1000- 1500 rpm driving but tap on acelerator a bit jumps right away to 3k and then if i push it harder next gear to 4k.
im not a expert on these vans trannys but im not to confirtable with the way atleast mine seems to shift.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
gentz
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
mmmm well i now thinking mine 2010 might have that but read normal? read it to do with something to the gear ratio or something? it does it most times i back into the drive way \. its got a slope. but i have to give it gas to really overcome the shudder or to me feels like loose of power. hard to describe. something like if i dont give it more gas it will shake a bit. been also feeling bit on gear changes and also if i push it normally idle 1000- 1500 rpm driving but tap on acelerator a bit jumps right away to 3k and then if i push it harder next gear to 4k.
im not a expert on these vans trannys but im not to confirtable with the way atleast mine seems to shift.
On reverse this indicates internal transmission slip, this transmission does shift a but hard when you push it but it seems normal, but when in reverse all it has is one gear so no shifts. If it slips then it will feel like if it grabs then lets go, in our case which may be similar to you i accelerate a bit more and it engages and no more slip...I myself am a ASE master tech with 10+ years experience so i know that is not normal, van is going back to dealer in a few.. As soon as they get my loaner vehicle ready...

Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM
2010SXT4.0L
Rookie

Like the above poster DodgeCaravan2010SXT who both of us have had similar issues with our 4.0L rough idle and that shudder in reverse. It is strange that we all feel that and it is the first vehicle I have owned that has ever done that in reverse granted this is the first 6 speed tranny I have owned. You are not alone. The biggest problem is that technicians don't see a check engine light or code so they won't do anything until there is a catastrophic failure.

Last edited by 2010SXT4.0L; 06-06-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

well keep us posted on what they find. i really interested to know the outcome.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM
rpwils

I have had the shutter issue at idle with my new van since day 1. You are absolutely correct about Dodge, they only deal with issues if there is "CODE". keep us posted....

Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010SXT4.0L
The biggest problem is that technicians don't see a check engine light or code so they won't do anything until there is a catastrophic failure.
You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of how things work. Yeah, I know you're a little pissy on Dodge. I read some of your your posts but mostly ignore them. I don't care much for "activists". Maybe they didn't buyback your van. Maybe your payment is too high. Don't really care. However, you are definately not helping the OP with their issue by flapping your gums.

There are warranty procedures to follow, and if the dealer does not, then they get charged back for the repairs. THEY call the shots on warranty repairs, not the dealer or technician. Maybe if you want to pay for it with cash up front, someone will be glad to do it your way.

Originally Posted by gentz
Well thought i had gotten away from it from my 2008. Seems I was wrong. Brand new 2011 just hit 800 miles on the odo and bam...Was backing up and i felt what seemed to be a shudder, I ignored it, i thought i may be over doing it. Drove for 180 miles, when i was getting out of a parking lot bam....shudder on reverse, my brother who works at a ford dealership also noticed it, whe thought well maybe the traction control as it was muddy, so i drove on. 1hr later backing out from the hotel parking lot there it goes again....definately transmission shudder on reverse.....will only doing when there is a slight load towards the front of the vehicle then the transmission will shudder a couple times when going into reverse....Such a nice van and the problems still there, also starting to notice a slight missfire and rough running at idle.....now to look for a good dealership to take it to to get it fixed. Beware seems 2011 has same tranny issues that still have not been resolved.....
Good luck, I hope you find a good dealer. You obviously have tranny issues. If they give you any problems contact Chrysler. They will make sure it gets addressed. Nobody is out to deny you a properly operating vehicle no matter what some trolls in this forum might tell you. There is a process that has to be followed just like ANY other business, just be patient.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
2010SXT4.0L
Rookie

Originally Posted by TNtech
You seem to have a basic misunderstanding of how things work. Yeah, I know you're a little pissy on Dodge. I read some of your your posts but mostly ignore them. I don't care much for "activists". Maybe they didn't buyback your van. Maybe your payment is too high. Don't really care. However, you are definately not helping the OP with their issue by flapping your gums.

There are warranty procedures to follow, and if the dealer does not, then they get charged back for the repairs. THEY call the shots on warranty repairs, not the dealer or technician. Maybe if you want to pay for it with cash up front, someone will be glad to do it your way.

Good luck, I hope you find a good dealer. You obviously have tranny issues. If they give you any problems contact Chrysler. They will make sure it gets addressed. Nobody is out to deny you a properly operating vehicle no matter what some trolls in this forum might tell you. There is a process that has to be followed just like ANY other business, just be patient.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed you work for Chrysler . Remember posts have no emotion they are statements. You go to the dealer and you leave after being told "we can't duplicate the problem" or whatever the case may be .We are advising the OP that we have similar experiences, that is what people want to know. It's nothing against the technicians and I know warranties have procedures.
By the way I enjoy my van 98 percent of the time. It's the 2 percent of the time is the reason I come here and another forum as well. Also , I see you couldn't assist the OP but instead chose to bash us.

Last edited by 2010SXT4.0L; 06-07-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!