Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Hub nut help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Hub nut help

I'm in the process of replacing the lower control arms on our 2001 and have run into a stumbling block. I can't seem to break the hub nut loose using either an impact gun(1/2 "Harbor Freight so obviously isn't the best) or giving it everything I have while my wife stands on the brakes. I've tried several cycles of PBBlaster and heat but I didn't want to get too carried away with the heat due to the axle seal being right there.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what impact gun are you using, if its anything but the earthquake model then you will never brake it loose with the impact you have...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1/2 inch ratchet and a long piece of pipe on the end

Old 01-11-2012, 11:27 AM
mfahey
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I do have an old torque wrench that is just a breaker bar now. That's what I was using when my wife stood on the brakes but I'll add a pipe extension and see what happens. I do have a friend who has an impact wrench that is almost certainly better than what I have so if Plan A doesn't work, I'll go to Plan B.
If Plan B fails, I'll have to stick my tail between my legs and take it to a real mechanic and have him break the nuts loose.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
mfahey
Veteran

Plan C it was. He used a 3/4" impact and they came right off.
Now on to the tie rod ends and it's stuck as well. Got the nut off without a problem but 2 different supposed tie rod pullers from Autozone later, it's still stuck. I'm going to soak it overnight and hope for the best.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfahey
Plan C it was. He used a 3/4" impact and they came right off.
Now on to the tie rod ends and it's stuck as well. Got the nut off without a problem but 2 different supposed tie rod pullers from Autozone later, it's still stuck. I'm going to soak it overnight and hope for the best.

Hit it with a hammer. Hit what it goes through. that should help break err loose. :-D