Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Clanking and popping sound from front

Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking and popping sound from front

I have Dodge minivan 2001. When I make maneuvers in reverse at a parking lot, the car whines slightly and when I turn the steering wheel all the way it makes a single loud popping sound from the driver’s site. It doesn’t happen every time.
But maybe the reason to hear clanking sound every time over the speed bumps has a different ground. (I replace sway bar bushings every 1.5 years. Recently, from Autozone, a lady suggests me that it should be another reason, not bushings themselves).
What do you think about these two defects? Where they come from?
Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM
GQ-ROD
Rookie

Originally Posted by georgi
I have Dodge minivan 2001. When I make maneuvers in reverse at a parking lot, the car whines slightly and when I turn the steering wheel all the way it makes a single loud popping sound from the driver’s site. It doesn’t happen every time.
But maybe the reason to hear clanking sound every time over the speed bumps has a different ground. (I replace sway bar bushings every 1.5 years. Recently, from Autozone, a lady suggests me that it should be another reason, not bushings themselves).
What do you think about these two defects? Where they come from?
Thank you in advance for your ideas!
Best guess, have your whole suspension checked, it could be drivers side cv joint begining to go ( usually you hear more clicking while van is moving )

Could be stabilizer link bushings, cheap fix easy DIY project the nylon bushings wear and you hear clicking over speed bumps.

Check you brake calipers and ensure the bolts holding them are not loose.

A-arm bushings check these also.

Check all your motor and tranny mounts for wear, cracks.

Try to get dodge parts for replacement is possible they last much longer than autozone parts unless you really like changing parts so often, granted their lifetime warranties are lifesavers.

Hope this helps

Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
georgi
Amateur

I noticed that this popping, single sound can be heard by sharp right turn. (The sound is coming from the left (driver's site).
I found another rattling sound when I am driving up to hill and it comes from the middle.

Last edited by georgi; 02-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
GQ-ROD
Rookie

Rattling could be a loose or broken exhaust hanger, i have the single pop but it's my stabilizer link bushings when i turn or go over speed bumps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clanking and popping sound from front