Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2007 3.8 to 3.3

Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
united847
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 3.8 to 3.3

Hello new guy here i bought a 2007 caravan with the 3.8 64k miles but the mains are scratched along with the crank. Id like to know if i could swap in a 3.3 if so what years because most scrap yards want at least 1500 for a used engine with 100k+. Thank you for your help

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
crownedroyal

No one has done this yet? I have a '02 with a bum 3.8L and would like to install a 3.3L in it place also.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post within the last two months that briefly talked about it but I can't find it... I believe it was said there that theoretically you can do it. The transmission should bolt up to the two different engines if they are of the same model year.
BUT
There are differences with wiring harnesses, the engine computer, certain sensors being different, the flex plate bolt pattern, depending on which model year, etc. It's not a plug-and-play situation. You will have to buy a lot more than just an engine, or alternatively pirate a lot from an auto wrecker, and knowing the individual pieces will be the research you will need to do.

For the average do-it-yourselfer, you are better off just finding the matching engine for your model year. Unless you are really looking for a project to keep you out of the kitchen and in the garage...

I have the 3.3 and have often thought I'd rather have the 3.8 because I find the 3.3 a little anemic on the highway. Why would you want to put the smaller engine in?

Last edited by maxbaby; 03-14-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Fleet Guy
Thumbs up Yes you can, but....

I've gone both ways with these many times, as long as you get a replacement engine of the same year/generation 99.9% of the time you'll be fine. I used to worry about changing the PCM's but after doing a few found out it does not usually present any issues. Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He may want to consider just swapping the engine and transmission together... that way he doesn't have any problems. He can always sell the good transmission. I know the gearing is slightly different between the transmissions for a 3.3 and 3.8 and though the 3.3 will move the car fine, it might be worth it for that reason too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 3.8 to 3.3