Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Disconnected Battery to Work-DVD Player Inop and Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Melhuishpa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnected Battery to Work-DVD Player Inop and Flashing

I have a 2007 Grand Caravan with the 6 disc DVD player. I did some extensive work on the van that required that the battery be disconnected. I had it disconnected about 24 hours while I pulled the dash to work on the HVAC box.

When I got everything back together and reconnected the battery, the DVD player sounded like it was attempting to engage a disk, then the "Error" message would appear, and the lights on the numbered panel on the DVD player began to flash. 3 right and 3 left, back and forth. As long as the ignition is on, it will continue to flash.

The radio and everything on it work fine. I did not lose any of the presets or the time. It's just the DVD player. Unfortunately, I do not know if it worked before I did the work. It most definitely was not flashing. And, I'm not aware that the DVD player was ever used. If it was, it was only rarely.

I've searched and goggled the issue. I also looked in the FSM and Owner's Manual and didn't find anything on point. It seems that this is a fairly common issue when the battery is disconnected even for short time periods. However, no remedy was offered. Is there one? Or, is the DVD player toast?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

I assume with the lack of responses that no one knows, so I'll give you the skinny. This is an expensive lesson. Although my wife and I believe (can't remember) that the DVD player was never used, it apparently was at one point-possibly by or for one of our children years ago while they were still living at home or my oldest daughter who ocassionally borrows the van.

There is a DVD disk stuck in the player. I did not even think to check BEFORE I disconnected the battery and removed the dash. The DVD disk gets/got stuck when it's powered back up. This can happen anytime the battery is disconnected for any length of time. When I took the unit out, I could hear the disk rattle.

Unless you're an electronics wizard, the unit needs to be taken out and repaired by a repair shop. Minimum cost for the repair to the unit $250 plus $40 shipping. Rebuilt unit $350 plus $10 shipping. If you don't do it yourself, removal and installation is extra. A rebuilt one is on the way.

You are now warned to check the DVD player for a disk BEFORE you disconnect the battery. Hopefully, I've saved someone some $$$.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 PM
sparks1032
Rookie

Thanks for the follow up ours is doing the same thing hoping to figure something out

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Disconnected Battery to Work-DVD Player Inop and Flashing