Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 Grand Caravan Crew - Power Steering line leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 PM
nuke_2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Grand Caravan Crew - Power Steering line leaking

I'm trying to get some guidance on what line this can be.. so far the dealer tried to help but the diagrams they have have been less than helpful.

From what I can see there are 4 lines that connect to the steering box, 2 thicker and 2 thinner lines.

There are 2 or 3 lines that run behind the back of the engine, the line that is leaking is a thinner metal line that runs along the top of the subframe, the leak is at a clip in the middle under the black arm that comes up to the body.

Anyone had this leak before, it seems to spray harder when turning left than right... Hoping I can find a part #, and/or some guidance on replacing it.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you been able to trace where the other end of the line ends up? They're usually described as "pump to gear" "gear to cooler" "cooler to reservoir" and the like, so if you can find the other end then you can tell them which 2 components it connects to. It may help to remove the air cleaner housing and duct.

As for the spray, it is common for a steering gear to purge fluid in one direction and siphon fluid in another, so it may be the pump to steering gear line.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:42 AM
nuke_2500

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Have you been able to trace where the other end of the line ends up? They're usually described as "pump to gear" "gear to cooler" "cooler to reservoir" and the like, so if you can find the other end then you can tell them which 2 components it connects to. It may help to remove the air cleaner housing and duct.

As for the spray, it is common for a steering gear to purge fluid in one direction and siphon fluid in another, so it may be the pump to steering gear line.

That sounds logical, and with the pressure its spraying out I don't think it'd be a return line.

I believe its the lines to the pump, I will have to get back in and look (removing the airbox is a good suggestion will try to do that next). I spoke with the parts guy at my local dealer, he couldn't tell me the part number for those lines.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:09 PM
nuke_2500

Ok made it under again and got some pictures.. It seems like it's the hard lines on the rack & pinion that failed.

Anyone know if these are replaceable or do I have to replace the whole unit?

Old 10-07-2018, 04:17 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

you could try it...you probably cannot buy just the lines so you will have to either make them or get one at a pick and pull wrecking yard.

remove the line and see if it uses a double flare and or iso flare. if yes, you can make a new line with a flare tool. also required will be steel brake line of the same diameter...probably 3/16 or 1/4"....a bending tool and reuse the fittings.

check the tie rods before you start...if they have play and if the line you want to replace is hard access...buy a long rack new...comes with tie rods. if you replace the rack...you need a wheel alignment.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

Aftermarket lines are available for the rack but you need to know manufacturer and model/serial number. There should be an ID tag on the rack. If it's covered by dirt and grime, try to use degreaser and/or soap and water to clean it - chemicals like brake clean can remove the ink and then you won't know what you have.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM
nuke_2500

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Aftermarket lines are available for the rack but you need to know manufacturer and model/serial number. There should be an ID tag on the rack. If it's covered by dirt and grime, try to use degreaser and/or soap and water to clean it - chemicals like brake clean can remove the ink and then you won't know what you have.
Good tip, i'll be pulling it out soon.

Where would those parts be available?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

I just googled "rack and pinion lines" and a few options came up. autopartswarehouse.com was one of them. Once you have the rack model number you can narrow it down.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 Grand Caravan Crew - Power Steering line leaking