Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 caravan alarm set ignition kill is killing me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 PM
DRAGONFLY7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 caravan alarm set ignition kill is killing me.

The factory alarm has malfunctioned on and off. I was able to 'cycle the key' in the driver door and it would reset. Now it will not disable and I have been without a car for 8 days. I'm dying here. Can I bypass the alarm or at least the ignition kill???? Any ideas

Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no, you cannot bypass the alarm. did you try to use the passenger door to disarm the system? All of the doors with key cylinders have disarm switches on them. do your key fobs unlock the doors?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 PM
DRAGONFLY7
Default 'Cycling the key'

yes, I have attempted both doors and rear door. key fob works fine. My passenger door doesn't always work correctly, maybe it is the cause. I'm wondering if there is anyway to just disconnect the ignition kill or can I maybe install a new ignition switch. Are there any options? I don't even know how to trouble shoot it. I am a single mother and it leaves me stranded and goes for days without starting. I can't even figure out what makes it start working again.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about that, sucks to be without a ride. The only way to get rid of the alarm system is to replace the PCM and the BCM at the same time and then remove the key switches from the door lock cylinders. There is no way to bypass the engine kill feature. Does your car start and die? Not even crank? If you unlock the doors with the fob and they stay unlocked, the alarm should be deactivated. Sometimes you get a bad key cylinder switch so when you unlock the doors they just lock again, then you have an alarm issue. If it is an alarm issue, it will be hard to diagnose without a scan tool since it involves multiple modules.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 PM
mightyfine

Originally Posted by DRAGONFLY7
yes, I have attempted both doors and rear door. key fob works fine. My passenger door doesn't always work correctly, maybe it is the cause. I'm wondering if there is anyway to just disconnect the ignition kill or can I maybe install a new ignition switch. Are there any options? I don't even know how to trouble shoot it. I am a single mother and it leaves me stranded and goes for days without starting. I can't even figure out what makes it start working again.
It's a shame car manufacturers build products that hard working people depend on in such a way that leaves them stranded. Never fear, they'll gladly let you bring the vehicle into the dealership for $1000 - $3000 and make an attempt at a repair.

Why Congress is not protecting hard working single moms like this is beyond me.

The owner of a vehicle should have the right to have such an annoyance and even dangerous system, (alarm system in this case) deactivated as long as the owner proves ownership. The cost should be minimal. $50 MAX. Chrysler and the other Auto Manufacturers are making windfall profits on manufacturing traps like this.

Quick Reply: 98 caravan alarm set ignition kill is killing me.