Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 GC - P0404 and P0406 - EGR Valve and XZZ option code questions

Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 GC - P0404 and P0406 - EGR Valve and XZZ option code questions

I am getting these 2 codes on my 05 grand caravan (3.3L), it has 118,300km on the clock right now and has had a light throttle 50-80km/hr stumble for the last couple of weeks (~1200km) that has been getting progressively worse. I was planning on changing the spark plugs at 120,000km (have them on the shelf just waiting) and just assumed the stumble was related to old plugs or wires as mileage was unaffected and the van ran great at higher throttle positions. Yesterday I decided to plug my scanner into the van to see if anything looked off and I found a pending P0404, then while I was logging spark timing at about 95km/hr coasting down a hill it set a P0406. Neither code will clear for me so the problem must be persistent.

I have done some digging around and it looks like I am in for an EGR valve replacement as either the valve or the sensor has gone bad and they are integrated into each other.

I checked my local parts store and they wanted to know if I had option code XZZ on my van to establish which EGR valve I require (EGV823/EGV830). Unfortunately I have no idea what that option code is or how to tell. Any hints here? It looks like maybe if I have the valve with part number 4861636AB, 4861636AD, 4861635AF or 4861662AA then I do NOT have XZZ, and if I have the valve with part number 4861662AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, 4861663AA then I do? I am only guessing this based on parts descriptions on Rock Auto so I am not super confident in this.

Also, before I go shelling out the $190 for a local EGR valve, or ~$80 for one shipped in from rock auto, can somebody tell me if there is a method to test the EGR valve and it's wiring? I looked in my FSM and it only has a very short section about the EGR system on the 2.4L, I see nothing in there for the 3.3L. I searched around the forums and found various mentions of testing for 5V at the connector, but without knowing more details I can't make a conclusive test out of that. Can anybody give me some insight on this? Can I test the valve to ensure it is faulty electrically? If it isn't faulty and is just jammed up I would prefer to just clean mine instead of replacing it.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
zero10
Professional

After some more searching it seems this can be determined from the last few digits of the VIN number. The last 9 of my VIN are X5B391672, can anybody tell me based on this?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
zero10
Professional

I have figured it out, I do have the XZZ option code and my van takes the 04861662AE part number valve. I ordered one from Rock Auto, I was able to combine shipping on it with a friend so it was only $65 from Rock Auto which is a big enough discount I'll chance an aftermarket one instead of paying the dealership $190 for another one that might only last another 118k

Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a P0404 code on my 06 in april, 96k miles

I changed the egr valve with one from advance auto, ordered it online with coupon code and picked up in store for just under 50$

so far the code has not came back, changing the valve was not too hard, hardes bolt to loosen(only needs a few turns) was the front alternater bolt, due to the ac line being right in front of it, thankfully I rember mastertech saying about a flex head ratchting wrench I I had

Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
zero10
Professional

Thought I would post an update for this:

I finally got around to changing the EGR valve this morning as it took a while to get one shipped here. Local parts stores wanted $180-$230 for it, local dealerships came down to $130 but I managed to get one shipped from Rock Auto for $65

I believe you can change the EGR with the alternator in place. I was able to get a stubby 10mm wrench on the lower bolt without much trouble and hooked another wrench into it to gain more torque, but I was uncomfortable putting that much torque on a 10mm head bolt with a 12-point box ended wrench so I pulled the alternator off and used a 6-point socket instead just to make sure it didn't round off. I suppose for somebody who is tackling this job themselves, they should try using a stubby wrench first, if your bolts are not badly seized you can save some trouble, just don't really pull on it or you will have MORE trouble...

I haven't had a chance to drive it much yet, I put about 5km on the van since changing the EGR valve, but I am confident enough to say that my stumble is gone and the code has not come back. It had gotten to the point where I was able to trigger the stumble climbing the hill at the end of my driveway so I am pretty confident my stumble is gone as I tried that hill about 15 times with the engine at various temperatures. Also, one or both codes would trip immediately after starting the van before (even if I unplugged the battery to clear the EGR table or whatever it is) and they have not come back yet either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 GC - P0404 and P0406 - EGR Valve and XZZ option code questions